Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

a NEW issues

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2009, 8:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a NEW issues

my front axle is doing something strang.... its on the passenger side, the cv axle, and i can pull it about 3 inchs out of the axle and pumpkin. any one know what might have happend?? it a 1989 silverado c 1500..
Old June 25th, 2009, 8:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing your Cv half shaft needs replaced. Did it make noises? Mines bad and its making noises when I turn which will be my next thread(how hard is it to replace?)
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
CF Active Member

i can help both of us out i asked my oldest brother what he thought it was and i showed him what its doing, and yes it makes noise only in 4x4 though it does it going straight and turning.... my 4x4 dont engauge like a stock 4x4 i have mine on a switch and the other day "i didnt think about it at the time" but i was heading to my friends house and some where on the drive the switch got hit and turned the front lockers on and im thinking when it did that it broke something in my gear box... and it should be pretty easy to change
Old June 28th, 2009, 4:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know mines just the cv halfshaft the boot got torn two years ago and all of the grease is dried out of it. Mine does is in 2wd and only when turning right!
Old June 28th, 2009, 7:29 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some experience here, I have had my front diff and axle apart more times than I care to remember. The shaft coming out that side is held into the tube by a small snap ring, the ring fits in a groove on the axle shaft, you may need to only replace that snap ring. It is possible that the short shaft that fits into the diff carrier has broken and pushed the axle out of the tube. It is an easy fix but if the short shaft broke it alone cost $175. from the dealer. I buy the whole diff from a junk yard for $150. or less and swap the parts I need.
Mine is currently broken again and I am either going to fix it again or it may be time for a solid axle swap.
Old June 28th, 2009, 2:35 PM
CF Active Member

im thinking im gonna put solid axles on my truck... it would be a lot cheaper to lift it if i had the solid axle.... i have looked at a few of the kits you can buy to put the solid axles in but i thiunk i can male my own...
Old June 29th, 2009, 7:36 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I would make my own as well, I think the kits are way to expensive for just some of the parts, then you still need to buy the axles.
Old June 30th, 2009, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

i can get "used" but i can get 3/4 ton axles and transfer case for like 300$, or i can get the hole drive train frame and axles and tranny and transfer case for 500$, if it had an engine and a body i would buy the hole truck but i am only going to buy the axles and transfer case... and your right 1700$ for the kit when i can spend maybe 500$ and have the alxes and the kit lol....
Old July 1st, 2009, 2:21 AM
CF Active Member

Question last question on this subject

ok i have heard that i can still run my transfer case from the '89, with the '84-'85 axles, now if you ask me if i flip the axle would it reverse the front gears????
Old July 1st, 2009, 7:05 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I plan on using a Dodge / Dana 44 with the pumpkin on the correct side. I think the rotation would still be the same if you fliped the axle, but the transfer case would not deliver grease to the pinion. If you want to use the 10 bolt Chevy axle then get the transfer case as well.

Quick Reply: a NEW issues