Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Newby: Intro and Questions

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2015, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby: Intro and Questions

Glad I found this forum. After years of not having a Chevy, I went out and found a very nice, low mileage 98 Silverado Std. Cab/Long box Fleetside. It has the Vortec 5700 (will always be a 350 to me) and the 4L60E, along with a 3.30 posi rear, and just about every option for that year. So far, I'm lovin' it, as the ad says.

It came from an older guy, who bought it new, and used it for errands, and fishing trips, so the mileage is quite low for the year, at 86,000. I'm going to do some routine maintenance on this beast, and wanted to hear opinions on the best way to deal with the transmission fluid, which may or may not be the original. Also wonder if it is ok to go to 74-140 synthetic in the rear end, and if so, do I need the friction modifier for the posi unit? And if the answer to that is yes, which friction modifier is recommended. ( I have a 25 year old bottle left over from an old Chevy Van I owned in the 70s), and not sure if it would still be useable.

Finally, what is the consensus of opinions on the coolant. Dexcool seems to have a bad rep on the internet, and the truck currently has the green stuff in it. Any suggestions here?

And, I hope to post some pictures soon. It's a sweet ride.
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Just updating here. The rear gear is actually 3.73, I made a typo on the original post.

So far, I've changed the oil using Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic, put in a Napa Gold oil filter, changed the fuel filter using an OEM one from the dealer. The auto trans fluid is a very light colour, with no burnt smell at all, so it can wait till winter is done. Made sure the diff oil filler plug will come out, and I'm going to put in 80W-90 synthetic, if I can find it. Also, will add the GM friction modifier.

Had to remove the zerk fittings and clean them out with lacquer thinner before I could grease the front end. Been a while since I had a vehicle with this many grease fittings!

Next up is a brake fluid flush, which I can do myself with a little help from my wife (chief pedal pusher), and then a coolant change. Since the truck already has the green stuff, I'm going to go with that, rather than the dexcool.

All other filters on the truck are fine, and an inspection showed that the brake pads and rear linings are almost new. Couldn't believe how small the rear brakes (10 inches) are for such a large vehicle. I mean, how much more would it have cost GM to put in 12 inch brakes?

As you can guess, I'm enjoying just tinkering around with this new toy, and I hope this description of what I've done helps others who are wondering about what to check and service on a used vehicle that is new go them.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 5:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Another day, another step closer to what I want. Pulled the cover off the diff, and drained out the old fluid, which was not really in bad shape at all. The last person to work on the diff had used silicone with no gasket at all. I managed to get a gasket at the dealer, a paper type, but that's all he had.

After draining the old fluid, and cleaning up the cover, the fasteners, and the inside of the diff as best I could, I put the cover back on, using a very thin coating of RTV on the axle housing to hold the new gasket in place. Did the bolts up using a "star pattern", to what I guess was close to 15 pounds feet, then put in new 75W-90 synthetic, AC Delco fluid. Doesn't appear to be leaking, so I've got my fingers crossed.

While at the dealer, I bought a new thermostat and next up, will do a coolant flush and change. Since the motor has green coolant now, I'm just going to keep using green stuff, so bought some Prestone, and will report out when that's done.

That will leave brake fluid flushing to go, then I'm done till the spring (I hope).
Old December 4th, 2015, 4:08 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Cowboycoupe Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to keep you post updated that is what makes forums work, sometimes the folks that read them don't always have a response, so you keeping it updated with your own thought process is great!
Old December 7th, 2015, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 on in2pros comments. Thanks for keeping up up to date ��
Old January 8th, 2016, 12:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Finally, two things have happened.

First off, I used my Mytivac to bleed out the brakes. Basically, I sucked the old fluid out of the master cylinder, re-filled with new fluid, then cycled the ABS pump by applying the brakes on an icy road a few times. Starting at the left front, I removed the bleeder valves, applied teflon tape to the threads, then re-installed them and used the vacuum to pull the old and tired fluid out of the lines and cylinders. That stuff was real dirty, so I hope there is no corrosion damage to the system.

The second thing is I finally have some trouble to work on. The inside driver's door handle failed. It was giving signs of going out, as the door needed a good shoulder push to open. The outside handle has some vandalism damage, so I've ordered a new OEM GM handle for the outside, and an aftermarket one for the inside. Got them at Amazon, with some extra trim clips, for $53 total with free shipping. So, now the fun begins, as unless I'm lucky, I will have to remove the inner door panel (the metal one that supports the window regulator) in order to install the outside handle, although I have seen a YOuTube video on how to do this job without removing that panel.

Will update once all that happens.
Old January 10th, 2016, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

I do not have to many answers for you, but from my opinion, Dexcool isn't bad stuff. If your year truck came with it KEEP it. It has stuff in there to protect precious metals used in your motor from rusting. HOWEVER, I have heard and see many guys get rid of Dexcool for standard Universal Green. Just be sure to flush it completely and you should be just fine. I feel it is a matter of personal preference. Hope that helps ya a little.

BTW, Dexcool came in our trucks starting around 1996
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Canty: thanks for the reply. When I got my truck, it had the green stuff. It also had a flush fitting installed in the heater hose. I decided to keep using the green stuff, so I flushed it thoroughly, and then installed new green coolant to get a 50-50 mix. Dexcool may be better, but my engine is iron head, iron block, and I change the coolant every two years, so I'm at peace with all this.
Old January 12th, 2016, 6:49 PM
CF Junior Member

This thread has kinda become the "diary of my truck", and I want to add that when I got the beast, it had damage to the driver's side door armrest. The previous owner had repaired? it with duct tape, but everytime I saw it, I hated it. While looking for something else, I found a guy parting out a 95 (I think) with a nice interior, same colour as mine. I snared the doorpanel for $20 including the window switch panel and speaker, the inside door handle for $15, and a bunch of hardware, clips, etc.

Brought the panel home, and cleaned it up, and it looks like new. When my exterior door handle arrives in the mail, I'm hoping for a day of good weather to swap out the damaged handles, and the door panel.

Brought the door panel home,