Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

No power to anything on the truck

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No power to anything on the truck

A few days ago I went to start my truck. When I turned the key in the ignition, everything lit up, but as I turned it all the way over to start the engine everything died. I tried again and the same thing happened. On the third try, I was able to start the engine but it would not idle properly without pushing the gas pedal. After a few seconds it returned to idling normally and ran perfect for about two hours. Its been sitting now for two days and when I went to start it this morning I have no power to anything at all. I've checked the battery and cables and they are clean. I checked and there is power running to the fuse box and all the fuses are good. I get nothing when I turn the key over and none of the dome lights, radio, horn have any power to them. Can someone please help me?
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have anything with the switch in accessory position? Sounds like ignition switch. Please post model and miles.
Old April 20th, 2013, 4:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 19nakrahn99
A few days ago I went to start my truck. When I turned the key in the ignition, everything lit up, but as I turned it all the way over to start the engine everything died. I tried again and the same thing happened. On the third try, I was able to start the engine but it would not idle properly without pushing the gas pedal. After a few seconds it returned to idling normally and ran perfect for about two hours. Its been sitting now for two days and when I went to start it this morning I have no power to anything at all. I've checked the battery and cables and they are clean. I checked and there is power running to the fuse box and all the fuses are good. I get nothing when I turn the key over and none of the dome lights, radio, horn have any power to them. Can someone please help me?
19nakrahn99,

I am sorry you are experiencing these issues. Can you please send me the last 8 of your VIN so I can better assist you. Thank you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 20th, 2013, 4:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Kind of sounds like there is a bad ground somewhere. Check both ends of the battery cables and the ground cable from the engine to the body or the chassis. They may look good but still not make a good connection.
Old April 21st, 2013, 8:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Do you have anything with the switch in accessory position? Sounds like ignition switch. Please post model and miles.
The truck is a 1999 Silverado 1500LS 5.3L with the Z71 package. Has 127k miles on it. There is nothing when I turn the key even to the accessory position.
Old April 21st, 2013, 1:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You say you have power to the fuse block(s), where are you grounding the negative side of the meter to?
Old April 21st, 2013, 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to figure out the problem and everything is running fine. Traced the ground cable from the battery and found a break in the insulation below the cab were the wires had corroded through. Replaced the wire and everything's ok. Thanks for the suggestions guys.