Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

no power, high RPM

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power, high RPM 95 Sierra Z71

Hello, I got a motor from some dude, put it into my truck, sorry it is a 95 sierra Z71, 350 V8 TBi. Same motor that I pulled out.
I have it running, and when you rev it in park it sounds great, however if I put it in drive and push the gas it runs rough. it seems like it gets to much gas. I can drive in first and barely press the gas to get going. If I push the pedal down it seems to bog out and may lightly backfire. when I get going the engine revs up high fairly fast and it shifts to 2nd, then revs high fast again and goes into third. Remeber I cannot push the pedal down to far.
WHen it is in third, if I do push down on the gas the engine goes and will end up hitting 4000 or so RPM's but the truck will ge no faster than about 85K/h.
it drinks gas ofcourse because it is running in such high revs. there seems to be a lack of power to the tranny? not sure.
Timing is dead on and there are no air leaks.
Could it be that the other guy put the distributor on backwards? OR any suggestions on what to check?
The engine I pulled out had great power and did not give this problem, the reason I pulled it is because of the amount of oil it went through. in 200km it would burn 5 litres of oil.

Please help, I am out of a vehicle, and I know you guys/gals are great at troubleshooting.

Thanks

Last edited by FishBrain; May 13th, 2010 at 5:50 PM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

i was doing a timing chain on my truck one time and accidentaly put the distributor in backwards...it was horrible i started it up and it was backfiring out of the intake and the exhaust! it backfired so bad it completely stopped the motor in a split second.. but had that fixed in a couple hours so if it was 180 out because theres only two ways the distributor goes in at 0 degrees and 180 out, it probably wouldnt be going down the road.
Old May 19th, 2010, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

HHmmmmm, ok.
I am at a total loss then
I have good spark, lots o fuel, no air leak.
But no power, dies if I hold the gas to try and get going, at any speed
Old May 19th, 2010, 8:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a crossed plug wire?
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I second checking the plug wires as I have personally done that and if you get them in the wrong place just right on a V8 it idles real smooth but zip for power under load...
Old May 20th, 2010, 7:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have similar problems, but im pretty sure its my intake, it has a small leak after then sensor in the connections.