Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

OIL issue and another serious issue - 2007 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL issue and another serious issue - 2007 Silverado

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I want to talk about 2 problems I have with my truck.

2007 Silverado extended cab
5.3 L 4X4
43,000 miles
Power train warranty remains
Owned the truck almost a year now. Bought used from Public Service Garage in Marquette, MI.

Problem 1:

Got an oil change at a local shop. There was no oil on my stick. He said he heard of a recall or problem with my Chevy of it eating up the oil.

Brought it to the dealership. They want to monitor my oil consumption so I have to bring it in every 1000 miles. The service guy mentioned that the 07's have a problem with the lifters burning up the oil or something like that.

They said the power train warrant will cover the issue. I am just going to go in and demand something be done instead of this checking it every 1000 miles.

Problem 2:

Ever since the oil problem was discovered the following happened to my vehicle 3 times.

I will be driving and the speedometer will drop to 0 and my engine will start revving really high between 3 and 4,000 RPM's. Cannot push the gas to go anywhere because of that. I have to shut the truck off and it seems to reset the problem. What the heck is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old September 7th, 2011, 8:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got to remember that the dealer is at the mercy of the company just like everyone else. The company is not going to shell out money till they have documented the problem. In view of the fact that you ran it out of oil it might be good to have someone check it once in a while.
Old September 7th, 2011, 2:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Stimpy911,
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I am glad that the dealership is wanting and willing to monitor the vehicle for you, and it is even better if the power train warranty will cover the repairs needed. Just like the oil problem, the dealership will be able to help you diagnose and repair the problem with your speedometer. Keep us updated.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 7th, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Stimpy911

Brought it to the dealership. They want to monitor my oil consumption so I have to bring it in every 1000 miles. The service guy mentioned that the 07's have a problem with the lifters burning up the oil or something like that.

They said the power train warrant will cover the issue. I am just going to go in and demand something be done instead of this checking it every 1000 miles.
I'd be interesting to find out what is the problem.
Old September 8th, 2011, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

On these newer model trucks most of the have the gauge that starts at 100% and works its way down to 0 letting you know you need an oil change. Where normally you change your oil at 3000 miles, in order to get down to 0% or close its more like 8000 to 9000 miles. If I let my truck (2007 silverado 5.3 crew cab z71) go much more over 3000 miles it gets about a quart low in oil, which causes the low oil light to come on. I checked in the manual about it and it actually says that the truck can get to be one quart low between oil changes. Now I know they say its okay to let vehicles now a days go longer than 3000 miles, but I change mine at 3000 or as close as I can and I never have any problems with it, and I have 187,000 miles on it. Also on the dip stick in these trucks even as soon as I change the oil and recheck it its hard to see how much oil is it it anyways.

And for your second problem, I have the same problem. I will be driving and if I come to a stop sign or stop light and then start to go, on occasion and randomly the speedometer stays at 0 and the rpms rev up like it doesnt want to shift from 1st gear to second. I used to pull over and shut it off as well and it would reset it, but now Ive found that if I just pull over let the rpms settle back down, leaving it in drive and running, and then pull off again that will reset it. Now obviously I am no longer under warranty being as though I am at 187,000, but this problem began while it was still under warranty. I took it to the dealer and they had it for a month, called and told me they could not replicate the problem but they would mark it in the system and if it continues to occur and the warranty was up that they would still cover it. So it still continued and so finally I took it back (out of warranty) they said that it was never marked in the system so they wont cover it under warranty but that they still could not replicate the problem. So I don't know what I am suppose to do from here. I hate your having the problem but glad someone else has it so maybe we can get it figured out. I have onstar, and called them for an on demand diagnostics reading while i was driving down the road and they did fine that there was a problem with the transmission. They have given me a few ideas of what it could be and ive tried to fix a few of them but it hasnt helped. But how can someone not even looking at my vehicle tell me somethings wrong where as a physical person looking at it and driving it says theres nothing wrong with it?
Old October 3rd, 2011, 2:54 AM
CF Beginner

They are telling me it is the IPC. Instrument Panel Cluster that needs to be replaced.
Old October 12th, 2011, 2:40 AM
CF Beginner

They replaced it. Only charged me 100 dollars. Also, my transfer case busted up somehow so they replaced that as well under warranty.