Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Old Chevy Question

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2009, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Chevy Question

I got an old 81 chevy thats been sitting for a long time. Last time it ran was atleast 2 or 3 years ago. i wanna see if the engine will atleast turn over before i start throwin money at it. What should i do? I wanna say its an old 305 but i heard that the 350 came in them to. I dunno, i remember driving it and it ran pretty good. But what should i do about seeing if the motor will atleast turn. Put a battery in it and test it? My dad put an alternator in it i wanna say 2 years ago.
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Old Chevy Question

thats what i would try first
Old January 8th, 2009, 7:33 PM
CF Veteran

if you just want to see if it will turn over use a breaker bar and a deep socket on the crankshaft hub bolt and turn ,
Old January 11th, 2009, 1:40 PM
CF Junior Member

well it turned over and actually ran for a little while before it died so im glad about that. this is my first project ever so im kinda new to this whole thing. i was pokin around and i decided to take the head cover off just to see what was going on inside. lots of gunk build up and things of that nature, it even had the old cork gaskets on it and it stayed in one piece even though oil kinda leaks out of them. trying to figure out what my next step is but i dunno what to do, any thoughts? kinda wanna see if i can clean out some of that gunk but is there anyway of doing that without pullin the motor out?
Old January 11th, 2009, 4:56 PM
CF Veteran

depends how bad it's gunked up . if it's not to bad you might run some rislone engine treatment through it a couple of oil changes part #100qr wont completely remove the build up but might help .

Old January 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Alright then, im not gonna really do much to it. I just want one of those nice lookin old trucks. Get the block and everything all cleaned up, throw an edelbrock carb on it and a good tune up. might put some headers on it and a mean sounding exhaust on it. If yall dont mind im probably gonna be back from time to time askin questions so let me know if i may be doing something wrong.
Old January 13th, 2009, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

how hard would it be to remove the heads and check the gaskets with the motor in the truck still and replace them if need be?
Old January 13th, 2009, 6:45 PM
CF Veteran

as far as questions ,if you don't ask then you don't know ! it's not to bad of a job to pull the head's in the truck .biggest part is getting down to the bare engine . degrease it first ,soak it down with degreaser and pressure wash it .mark all the hose's and lines' turn the engine over to #1top dead center compression ,and pull the distributor, pull the pull the block dump the anti freeze , pull the block drains,dump the oil ,pull the intake ,pull the heads,clean up or wile you got em off have the valve's ground . put it together crank it up .!
Old January 13th, 2009, 6:50 PM
CF Junior Member

ok u lost me..#1 top dead center?
Old January 13th, 2009, 7:04 PM
CF Veteran

# 1cylinder is at top dead center ready to fire .

Quick Reply: Old Chevy Question