Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

One problem after another.......

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2011, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One problem after another.......

First of all.. Im new here.. so hi to everyone..
NOW...
I have a 97 Silverado (Ext Cab with 5.7l V8) since Nov. 2007.. has worked great so far with 130,XXX miles on original engine and constant DRL Headlights..
problems started in late October..
Brake Lights would not work, so i was able to figure out it was the "switch" underneath the brake pedal. and was able to get the lights working the same day..
then truck stood for about 3 weeks..
then my other car had a flat overnight so decided to use the 97 Chevy..
but would not turn on, it would only crank but not fully start..
Barely managed to find the probem which was a wire in the fuel pump was not making a good connection.. So once that was done.. it turned on..
BUT.. since it was inside the garage, i did not think to put it in reverse..
NOW, MY MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I TRIED TO PUT IT IN REVERSE IT WOULD ONLY REV UP. AND AFTER THE FUEL PUMP PROBLEM MY DRL's WOULD HAVE TO BE TURNED ON MANUALLY. I THOUGHT THE BRAKE WAS ON SO I RELEASED IT AND AFTER THAT THE LEVER WOULD NOT BUDGE. SO I WAS NOT ABLE TO PUT IT INTO ANY GEAR LIKE reverse,drive,neutral,. SO FAR IT CANNOT BE MOVED FROM park.
ANY IDEAS WHATS GOING ON????????
ANY IDEAS WHY MY DRL's ARENT WORKING PROPERLY?????
IVE HAD PEOPLE TELL ME THAT IT IS SHORT CIRCUITING SOMEWHERE SINCE I PUT IN L.E.D. BULBS, BUT IF IT WAS A BAD CIRCUIT WOULDNT IT JUST BLOW A FUSE? ALL THE FUSES ARE GOOD BY THE WAY.
HOPING ITS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE FIXED OR WOULD IT BE EASIER TO SELL INSTEAD????????
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE YOU GUYS CAN GIVE....
Old December 22nd, 2011, 8:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The transmission not engaging into reverse can be as simple as a low fluid level or problem with the linkage between the shift lever and the transmission. It can also be a problem internal to the transmission.

There is a shift interlock solenoid that prevents the shift lever from moving out of PARK. It's engaged with the PNP switch in PARK and foot on brake. I don't know what you mean by "I THOUGHT THE BRAKE WAS ON SO I RELEASED IT" but it sounds like you disconnected the stop lamp switch.

As for your DRL, you have LEDs and not HIDs (a different animal):? If the latter, they usually draw more current than stock bulbs. Check the DRL relay since it may have finally given up the ghost. If not that, the DRL is supposed to be turned off with the parking brake on. Maybe you touched that as well?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does sound like the brake switch for the shifting issue. Try turning the key one notch from off, put it in neutral and start it. You can at least move it out of the garage as long as you don't go back in park. That's if the brake light circuit is the problem. The DRL could be from the park brake switch as EinST mentioned.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 7:39 AM
CF Junior Member

does the truck have a lift kit on it?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got 2 98s at work a 1/2 and 1 ton and they both seem to have the same funky electrical sh*t going on all the time. The DRLs wipers and brake lights all have a mind of their own on both. I think they dropped the ball a little in this year range. The 1 ton has that shifter problem some times and I agree with the above Id check the brake switch, I havent really messed with mine becuase they are both just jobsite trucks and get the Job done But I do assume they are all electrical related...
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

it does not have a lift kit.. i had 22s on it and i had to get low profile tires in order to turn without scrapping.. as for my Daytime Running Lights(DRL's) does have digital HIDs.. and had no problem with em for last two and half years.. until recently they did not turn on like always, they had to be turned on manually which does not have a switch to turn on so basically took the High Beam switch..
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

i do think that it might be something in the drivers area because i have not touched anything else such as in the engine, dash, or lights. And now, whenever i step on the brake, the brake light turn on but then turn off again the more i step on the brake..
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

that being said.. it leads me to believe that it is a bad connection near the pedal area.. anyone else agrees??
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks again for your replies.. every answer is helpfull..
Happy Holidays everyone........