Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

over charging

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2007, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over charging

I have a 96 chevy silverado 4x4 with the 5.7L. The battery voltage on the highway sits at 14 volts cruising at 70mph, and then all the sudden the gage reads 19+ volts. This causes the truck to die on the highway. I can put it back in neutral and restart it. Sometimes it runs fine, but most of the time it dies again. If it is sitting in park, and it starts acting up at 19+volts, the motor revs up to 2200rpm. The battery light periodically flashes intermittently. Sometimes it will stay on solid, but most of the time it goes crazy. Today, i went out to the truck, and the battery is dead. I have tested the battery with a multimeter, and it will read 19 volts if the gage in the car reads 19 volts. I pulled the alternator and took it to adv auto, they tested it and said it was fine. Is it possible the voltage regulator is going out, and it just wasn't being retarded when i took it to adv auto? I have been chasing grounds with no luck for about a week. That is what i suspect if it isn't the alternator. If no one can help, i am buying a dirtymax!
Old February 10th, 2007, 1:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: over charging

ORIGINAL: dearthr

I have a 96 chevy silverado 4x4 with the 5.7L. The battery voltage on the highway sits at 14 volts cruising at 70mph, and then all the sudden the gage reads 19+ volts. This causes the truck to die on the highway. I can put it back in neutral and restart it. Sometimes it runs fine, but most of the time it dies again. If it is sitting in park, and it starts acting up at 19+volts, the motor revs up to 2200rpm. The battery light periodically flashes intermittently. Sometimes it will stay on solid, but most of the time it goes crazy. Today, i went out to the truck, and the battery is dead. I have tested the battery with a multimeter, and it will read 19 volts if the gage in the car reads 19 volts. I pulled the alternator and took it to adv auto, they tested it and said it was fine. Is it possible the voltage regulator is going out, and it just wasn't being retarded when i took it to adv auto? I have been chasing grounds with no luck for about a week. That is what i suspect if it isn't the alternator. If no one can help, i am buying a dirtymax!
You say you tested the battery and it read 19 volts ... that had to be when the vehicle was running. There is no way a battery would show 19 volts static reading.

If the alternator is putting out 19 volts it certainly has overcharged the battery and cooked it.

You bet it's the regulator and yes it may not show up on the static bench testers at the auto stores the first time.

Besides i don't have much faith in the boneheads working at some of the stores. I had an alternator that had to be tested 3 times before a fault would show ... the clerk operating the tester wouldn't believe me. I don't even bother going to these places to have them checked, when it's determined to be a faulty alternator I simply buy a kit and rebuild it myself.

The best test is a dynamic test with everything in the vehicle .
Old April 20th, 2022, 2:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default New battery and alt, same overcharging.

1996 k1500 new voltage regulator (because that is in the alternator ? Just was replaced) I think it may be the battery cable attached to the alternator. . . I. Remember last year it kept throwing the amp fuse out and I wouldn't think that would make it run 19 volts. If anything a bad connection would drain the battery , not overcharge it.but both of those cables run to posotive current and maybe that has something to do with it? Anywaysg I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow in hopes to find cable . For alt/battery