Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

overfueling and stall putting into gear?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2012, 12:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overfueling and stall putting into gear?

My 95 c1500 has been running great lately and have been getting an average of 22 mpg's. starting yesterday afternoon, i had 3/8 of a tank of fuel in the truck and was driving home from work which is 7 miles from my apartment, i got home and i was under quarter tank. also lost all mid to top power but still have low end torque, injector pulse and spray is fine at idle with no excess of fuel but i can smell raw fuel out of my exhaust. going to work this morning i started the truck and let it warm up for a bit and as soon as i put it in gear it died about 3 or 4 times before it stayed running. it seems as if both are connected. I'm not showing any codes and it'll start up fine. what could be the issue? Is it a sensor that has gone bad or something. i have a spare computer that i can throw in it. i just don't know what would cause my mileage to jump down that much. i need new exhaust donuts but they have been like that for 2 months and had no effect on it.
New:
injectors, exhaust, coil, plugs, air cleaner, O2 sensor, and tbi gaskets.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:33 AM
CF Active Member

I don't know if this is related to my problem or not but my oil pressure is also about 15psi higher than normal when warmed up. idle it's around 35-40 and cruising is at 60
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have exhaust leak around the O2 sensors, they'll report a lean condition (too much oxygen inside the exhaust vs. outside air). The ECM will then command more fuel to compensate.
Old May 13th, 2012, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

i've had an exhaust leak since i bought the truck so idk why it would affect it now, i'm replacing the donuts friday when i get paid.
Old May 13th, 2012, 3:34 PM
CF Active Member

it barely started today when i left work and ran like crap for a good 15 minutes then it ran just okay.
Old May 15th, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 s-10 started running like crap, extreem smell of gas from the tail pipe, asked experts, forums etc, changed out the 02, injectors, air regulator, pulled cat, replaced computer, nothing helped. Finally took it to the dealer...............and $600 later, it was the stupid EGR. It would have taken 15 minutes to change it out. But it runs great again. just my .02
Old May 15th, 2012, 8:12 PM
CF Active Member

i'll look into my EGR this weekend. thanks for your input. it's always the stupidest things you never think about when diagnosing.
Old May 17th, 2012, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh, let me know. One thing about these forums is that the information is good to know for future issues.
Old May 17th, 2012, 4:27 PM
CF Active Member

it doesn't seem to be doing it that much anymore. but i still want to make sure i have no problems. thanks for your help
Old May 18th, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you getting spark to all 8 cylinders? the fuel smell and poor running condition sound like a misfire. check your plugs and wires from block to distributor. Possibly weak distributor or Ignition Control Module.

EGR wouldnt give you fuel smell nor poor running conditions. EGR is only open during mid-throttle, not idle nor WOT.

Quick Reply: overfueling and stall putting into gear?