Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Paint

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2008, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint

I am refinishing my 94 K2500 Silverado Diesal. Original two tone colors Black with Silver panels. I have used HOK K2000 direct to metal primer. My problem is finding the right silver paint number. According to the print out attached to the bottom of the glove box it should be U8555. I cannot find that color anywhere. PPg does not have it listed. Any suggestions?

Second issue, I have priced the paints and have been told that the PPG name costs two or three times other comparable paints.
For example PPg Urethane Acrylic gal is $248.45 their hardener is $86.65 a quart. TCP Globals sells a comparable quality (that is what I am told) for $99.95 a gal for the paint and $29.95 for the hardener. The brand name of TCP paint is "Restoration Shop" they state it is equal to Centari and other top of the line paints.
Any comments? I really want a good finish but don't want to spend money for a brand name if not necessay.
Thanks
Dick
Old February 15th, 2008, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint

Anything like that is gonna be expensvie, PPG is probly the best way to go for base / clear. have you checked into DuPont at all? the chromapremeir base clear sometimes is fairly cheap.
monday i can look up that code in dupont then try to cross it over to PPG and see what i can find... being that i work at a paint shop. you gotta watch at how translucent the cheaper paitns can be, certain ones will take 5 coats and still be see through while your better paints can cover great in 2-3 coats. and they might not have the same level of UV protection. Like house of kolors clear loves to peel off if its outside all the time but its a nice show paint.
i was never a big fan of centari honestly.

one more thing to try just use the 4 digit number to look up your code, just look as 8555 , ive ran into that quite a bit.
Old February 15th, 2008, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

I plan on using Acrylic Urethane, clear coat. I searched for Dupont WA8867 and it comes back as "Ultra Silver Metallic" I thought that number was the "Black" on my truck. OOPs< I better take another look at what I am doing. The pre printed document in the glove compartment shows two codes that I thought were the colors the first was WAL 8867 and the second U8555. Perhaps they are reversed or not paint codes at all.
Thanks for the response
Dick
Old February 15th, 2008, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Correction, I plan on using Acrylic Urethane without Clear Coat. No Clear.
Dick
Old February 15th, 2008, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so yiu want a single stage - some codes dont cross over toa signle stage paint, sometimes you have to match something up.
hopefully on monday ill remember and ill try to look some stuff up before i leave work and get some codes and color names for you.
i think i know which silver you mean just cant remember the formula number off hand.