Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Paint Advice

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Advice

Right now im in the marine corps so money is limited. i want to get my entire truck painted black, bumpers, grill, all of it black cause i have particular look im goin for but my question is how would i know if the place paintin it will do a good job or just f*** it up. im not lookin for show quality just something that will look nice since im gettin out in may to go to college. Also would it be cheaper to just buy new bumpers and have them painted since they won't be chromed or take the chrome off the bumpers i have now and paint. any feed back or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 11th, 2010, 3:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suggest just sanding it down a lil to rough it up, spray some primer then spray paint it then spray clear coat, if you put in the effort it wont look to bad and its cheap. then later on in life when you have some funds, have it done professionally.
Old January 12th, 2010, 3:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if your going for the full color match truck. as in grille and bumper. and those right now are chrome. buy paintable grille and bumper. my autobody teacher. who owns his own shop for over 24 years and retired 2 years now teaches. he said you cant paint over chrome. you can try. but chrome is a chemical bond to the metal. you can sand it but paint flakes off. if you buy paintable pieces its just easier. you get what you pay for. and do not under any circumstance go to maaco. if you go to a shop to get it painted. just make sure they have good customer service. take their time and that they know what they are doing. and see what their policies are. so if you dont like it. like if they really screw it up. you can have it re-done. if only you lived in illinois. the shop i go to. is so freakin good. i recommend him to anyone i know that needs auto body work. im learning it myself because one day i wanna be able to do anything with a vehicle. one day ill fix the body on my 98. but yea...
Old January 12th, 2010, 2:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the advice guys ill let yall know how it all works out