Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Parasitic draw on '95 Silverado 1500 4WD (fuse 8 CRANK?)

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2014, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasitic draw on '95 Silverado 1500 4WD (fuse 8 CRANK?)

I am writing on behalf of a friend, who recently purchased a 1995 Silverado 1500 4WD, the problem is that the battery is dead if its sits for a day or two. he said it was a new battery, so I jumped it drove it for a bit, took it to two separate automotive stores, they feel the battery is fine, once its fully charged.

Came back to his out, took off the negative battery lead, put an amp meter on in series with the negative lead to battery, even took the bulb out of the hood, keys out, doors closed. had 10.5 amps flowing.

I started pulling the fuses, the fuse panel located on the driver side of the dashboard, fuse 8 label CRANK dropped the reading to 0 on the 10 amps scale. left the fuse out, will try vehicle in morning, it still starts with that fuse out, and ill see if the battery is dead in the morning.

I have a feeling I found a circuit that is causing the parasitic draw, but I have no clue what the circuit does, the vehicle still starts and runs. (8 CRANK on side of drivers dash)

one comment, is my friend said the ignition you can take the key out in any position, not sure if this may be an important piece of information. From reading on other post it sounds like this has something to do with something with the starter maybe, but not necessary the fuse that would prevent the starter from engaging as I said I can start the vehicle with this fuse out.

So Im wondering is there an easy fix, can I keep operating the vehicle this way, without the fuse if its keeps the battery from draining, again won't know until tomorrow if my Amp testing did find the right circuit.

Any thought, I really appreciate it. Trying to save my friend some money having someone try to diagnose a electrical problem.

Ron