Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Performance chip

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2008, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance chip

Thinking about adding Chip to 2000 5.3L LT 4wd, any Suggestions
Old February 6th, 2008, 6:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Performance chip

My two cents, chips are sometimes a pain to install, and if you have to have your vehicle serviced and they flash your computer for an upgrade while its in the shop, the computer is gonna throw a bad code and not allow the upgrade. Thats what I was told from the service tech at the dealership when I brought my other truck in that had a diablo chip on it. But I guess it really doesnt matter if your warranty is up. I personaly prefer to go with programmers. Ithink you get better results, and they are easy to install and un-install and most have multiple programs. Chips are good if you get one programmed specificaly for your truck based on your engine upgrades, but then your truck is in performance mode all the time. Programmers usually have a minimum of 3 programs. Maybe 1 will be for fuel economy, 1 for performance, and 1 for towing and some performance. Do some research online before you buy and see what some of these other guys have to say. Ive had both, and I like the programmer better. Best one....to each his own. I prefer Superchips programmers. Best company....Troyer hands down!! Best customer service, best product, best instructions, best everything. They will do a custom programmed programmer for your truck with whatever 3 programs your heart disires. You want max performance on regular gas, they'll do it. You want max performance on premium gas, they'll do it. They are smart, and they know ford and GM computers inside and out. They'll send you a work sheet 3 pages long, you fill it out, based on those answers, they'll build you the badest programmer for your truck and your money!! Check em out for yourself. If you dont see your engine and truck listed under products, email them and ask if they can do something custom for you. They did for me and it was worth every penny! www.troyerperformance.com Let me know what you think.

Josh
Old February 7th, 2008, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

I recently purchased a used 2003 5.3L truck and was not impressed with the power compared to my old 1996 5.7L truck. I upgraded the PCM computer from www.wait4meperformance.com who reprogramsused PCM's and sends them to you. It cost me $160 and took me 20 minutes to install. They claim to get 1-3mpg from the upgrade but this is my first gas tank with it so I'll see if it helps out. Buying an already programmed PCM or programmer is the way to go for this engine. It really wakes it up.
Old February 8th, 2008, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

thks for all the help guys.
Old February 8th, 2008, 6:16 PM
CF Junior Member

I went with a custom tune from wheatley here is his website. http://www.gowheatley.com/home.html
Helped the truck out so much. Get the tq management reduced so you can actully take off from a stop.