Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Possible Blown Head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2012 | 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Possible Blown Head gasket?

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if I am correct on this, I now have developed a Stutter at idle, My coolant keeps disappearing. I have been keeping an eye under the truck for puddles, I do have condensation coming out my tail although its not alot. I checked my oil and it due for a oil change and its at the full level on the dip stick and is still very clean. Although on the other had I checked the tranny and found that the Tranny Oil is over full by a considerable amount. I am running the GM approved Dex-Cool Prestone, so it is a orange colour. The Tranny oil is pretty runny and it has a noticable orange colour to it, although I am unsure if this could be from the previous owner using the wrong kind of tranny oil in a GM. Any insight would be great.

Thanks
RitualJman
Old May 4th, 2012 | 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I had the same thing happen in my 200 k1500 v-6. I was loosing coolant and was getting a gurgling sound coming from the heater core. I think that was because of low coolant(DIC said low coolant) anyway I took it to a local shop and they put it up on a lift and loosened the oil drain bolt and water started to dribble out. Cause blown gasket!
Old May 4th, 2012 | 4:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine never gets that low, and when i sqeeze the upper rad hose it feels empty. Not sure if its just a bad water pump or bad head gasket as well, although i have never seen the GM Dextron III ATF either, but i am pretty sure it's colour is no different from any other tranny oil.

RitualJman
Old May 4th, 2012 | 8:25 PM
CF Junior Member

could be tranmission cooler leaking internally
Old May 4th, 2012 | 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by xpeder
could be tranmission cooler leaking internally

Damn if thats the problem the i dont wanna know how much that would cost to get the new cooler. because the water pump is $225 with tax.

RitualJman
Old May 5th, 2012 | 12:28 AM
CF Monarch

What year is your truck. Most of the tranny coolers are in the radiator. You can replace that or just add an external tranny cooler. Not that bad if you do it yourself. Same with the water pump. Labor is a good part of the expense.
Old May 5th, 2012 | 3:06 PM
CF Veteran

i vote tranny cooler
Old May 6th, 2012 | 8:10 PM
CF Junior Member

The $225 was just for the water pump, I do all my own work. Its not that hard to add in a seperate tranny cooler?

RitualJman
Old May 6th, 2012 | 8:34 PM
CF Senior Member

please please please RitualJman don't make the same mistake i did. I have a 99 silverado 1500 with 5.3 and it started with just some coolant being gone and i thought ehh my oil isn't discolored or anything and i just kept going, this started in August. The day after Thanksgiving i left home on my way to school(about 90 miles). I checked the oil thanksgiving day and nothing wrong whats so ever and somewhere in that trip it gave out all the way and dumped coolant into the oil. No check engine or any light came on and i blew the motor and it started out as a tick and about 30 seconds after it sounded like i had a band under the hood. I looked at the oil and it looked like chocolate milk. Just to be safe i would think about getting the head gasket replaced cause i had the same symptoms: coolant gone without any leak, shutter at idle, condensation on exhaust tips and just wasn't running right. It took me five days to do the swap and 1600 for a junkyard motor. Avoid the hassle man.
Old May 6th, 2012 | 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

What size is the engine?