Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 1:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Possibly Need to replace the Master Cylinder soon?

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly Need to replace the Master Cylinder soon?

About 2 months ago, the boot on the rear driver side brake cylinder boot popped off, got it back on but there was brake fluid all over the place and the parking brake light has been on constantly. I've tried to bleed the brakes twice and every so often, just before I drive, I'll short pump the brakes and the light will go off.

A couple of times that I've done that, I have heard a metallic click after taking my foot off the brake pedal. Now, this doesn't occur every time, just every so often for now. Could this be an indication I should replace my Master Cylinder soon? I know I could rebuild it, but at this time, I would rather replace it completely till I can replace the whole brake system with an SSBC replacement.
Old June 4th, 2008, 5:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Possibly Need to replace the Master Cylinder soon?

&lt\\;P&gt\\;here’s my understanding of what happened:&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;you have rear brake drums and dust boot came off a brake cylinder. you put it back on, and bled brakes twice. you still need to pump brakes some to make them work fine. you hear light metal clunck when releasing the brake pedal.&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;correct?&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;dust boot has little to do with brakes, just protection. i am safely assuming a piston seal ripped on the cylinder, and, actually, fluid pressure blew the dust boot off. you did not overhaul the brake cylinder and are driving on leaking seal.&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;brakes light probably came because of the low fluid level in the master canister.&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;i wouldn’t be worried about light metal clunk, it’s probably simply return teminal impact under the dashboard. it’s just that ever since, you became sensitive to &quot\\;brake related noises&quot\\;. might have been there for long time.&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
&lt\\;P&gt\\;i’d start with overhauling the brake cylinder, not the master. easy job. yes, you’ll have to bleed the system again, sorry.&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
Old June 10th, 2008, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Could you re-reply? I couldn't read what you replied with.

ORIGINAL: ukrkoz

<\\;P>\\;here’s my understanding of what happened:<\\;/P>\\;
<\\;P>\\;you have rear brake drums and dust boot came off a brake cylinder. you put it back on, and bled brakes twice. you still need to pump brakes some to make them work fine. you hear light metal clunck when releasing the brake pedal.<\\;/P>\\;
<\\;P>\\;correct?<\\;/P>\\;
<\\;P>\\;dust boot has little to do with brakes, just protection. i am safely assuming a piston seal ripped on the cylinder, and, actually, fluid pressure blew the dust boot off. you did not overhaul the brake cylinder and are driving on leaking seal.<\\;/P>\\;
<\\;P>\\;brakes light probably came because of the low fluid level in the master canister.<\\;/P>\\;
<\\;P>\\;i wouldn’t be worried about light metal clunk, it’s probably simply return teminal impact under the dashboard. it’s just that ever since, you became sensitive to "\\;brake related noises"\\;. might have been there for long time.<\\;/P>\\;
<\\;P>\\;i’d start with overhauling the brake cylinder, not the master. easy job. yes, you’ll have to bleed the system again, sorry.<\\;/P>\\;
Old June 10th, 2008, 6:37 PM
CF Senior Member

'd love to, it's the way forum posted it.

my understanding of what happened:
you have rear brake drums and dust boot came off a brake cylinder. you put it back on, and bled brakes twice. you still need to pump brakes some to make them work fine. you hear light metal clunck when releasing the brake pedal.
dust boot has little to do with brakes, just protection. i am safely assuming a piston seal ripped on the cylinder, and, actually, fluid pressure blew the dust boot off. you did not overhaul the brake cylinder and are driving on leaking seal.
brakes light probably came because of the low fluid level in the master canister.
i wouldn't be worried about light metal clunk, probably simply pedal return terminal impact under the dashboard, just that ever since, you became sensitive to brake related noises might have been there for long time.
I'd start with overhauling the brake cylinder, not the master. easy job. yes, you'll have to bleed the system again, sorry.