Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

power loss

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
jvi
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power loss

hi, im new here so please b easy on me.. i have a 94 chevy 1500 p/u with 188k on it. its a 4.3 v6, 5spd, 2wd... the truck overall isnt the best but i try to keep it in the best shape i can. prob im having is when im n2 the gas anymore than half throttle, it falls on its face. but only when its warmed up and ive been running it for maybe 20 mins or so. it did the same thing @ 172k and i r&r' the fuel pump & it took care of the prob. so, i did the pump again & the inline filter, but the prob is still there.... the plugs, cap & rotor are only 10k mile old. ive searched @ & alot of threads point to the cat or the egr... the cat has been replaced at 170k, as it was removed by the prev owner but the muffler is the original... i did the rubber mallet ck on both the cat & the muffler and there's no rattling in either of them. i did read there is a way of cleaning the egr but i dont wanna hurt it with a chemical thats too strong.. since ive owned the truck, (3/08) the service engine light has gone on/off thruout, but never really made any diff in the way it acts. i already spent the $ & time on the pump & really dont wanna throw $ away on replacing parts that arent bad. if the exhaust is clog'd, wouldnt it do it no matter what the temp of the truck is? im on the fence ab either trying to clean the egr or pulling the mid pipe from the cat to see if it creates any difference. other thna this, the truck runs great, barely even know its run'n, its so quiet. no leaks, squeaks, rattles, or any type of issues. the air filter is new, and while i know it will run on mid grade gas, i always put high test in it.. it also has the smell of burning really rich. when i really get on it, the cat has gotten so hot, it smokes it little bit, ie; kinda like the truck is dumping fuel & isnt burning it as it should. the coil was replaced at 175k btw.... i know its a common issue but maybe 1 of u guys can shine some light on a ongoing prob with this... thanks in advance
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum

try checking the fuel pressure as that will give you an idea if its fuel pump related.
what are the codes reading when the check engine light comes on?
I would suspect O2 sensors for the running rich but again the codes can give you a better indication of where to start looking