Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Professional Tune comparisons

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2009, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional Tune comparisons

have a 2001 2500HD 4x4 with 100k, truck is used primarily for towing a 8k travel trailer in mountains with grades around 6%. I am looking to improve performance (horsepower). I purchased a hypertech tuner and used it to without changing trans. or rev. limiter. I did not notice much if any improvement. I would like to know if a professional tune by Nelson or Black Bear would be a good investment and which of the pro tunes would be the better of the 2. The Nelson Tune rep. did mention there is a 1 in 20 possiblilty that I would have to do a cam relearn? Who is a cam relearn and at what cost?
Old September 28th, 2009, 3:10 PM
CF Active Member

i liked my nelson tune ok in my previous 06. didnt really notice anything over the hypercrap that i had on it before. they have good customer service.

but i would suggest Justin @ blackbear, his cable tune was cheaper than Nelson's mail order tune. so i got it dialed in for my truck. i def noticed a huge improvement in my 06 i have now.

justin is just very busy and sometimes it takes him a little while to get back in touch with you, but he will answer every question you have, to the best of his ability.

its a crank shaft sensor relearn, and the dealer can do it at a cost of 1 hrs labor. only takes them like 5 mins though.
Old September 28th, 2009, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

So for you Nelson tune and Hyertech had same outcome? 1st look into blackbear had them sending a cable or something to get my driving tendency and them putting together a pro tune. That sound right? Is Nelson that far behind Blackbear?
Old September 28th, 2009, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

Nelson was fine, but my previous 06 had 3.42 gears, so not much on performance there. but i have been happier with my blackbear tune and like i said, it was cheaper than nelson.

you dont have to get the scan cable if you dont want, justing can do a mail order tune from his "experience" tunning GM trucks. the scan cable actually allows you to make logs of what the truck is actually doing so that its almost as good as justin sitting in the truck with you with his laptop hooked up. plus you can do the crank relearn with it.

for me it was only an extra $100 so for what the dealer would charge to do the relearn ($95) it was worth it to me. he was able to tell me that i already had some crappy tunning in the truck (i bought it used) and that my trans was slipping from 1-2 when at wot.

you cant go wrong with either his mail order or cable tune.
Old September 28th, 2009, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

what is WOT? reading some threads saw mention of stock GM restricting the tranny output. Do you know what that is all about? Is that the main piece the pro tune would be changing? Saw reference to removing up to 80% or more if requested.
Old September 29th, 2009, 7:57 AM
CF Active Member

WOT= wide open throttle.

GM puts Torque Management into the computers to retard timing and all during the shifts to protect the transmission. basically it was cheaper for them to do this than to beef up the transmission.

You should have a 4l80 transmission that is in the 3/4 ton trucks so you could go 80-100% without any worries. it is a strong transmission.

justin will also remove abuse mode and TM from the enigne along with dialing in the timing to make the most power safely. i think he can get 20-25hp to the wheels on the LQ4 6.0 which is what you have, but that is running 93 octane.

also do you have larger than stock tires? if you do, you may want to consider a gear change. you should have 3.73 gears stock. check your glove box for the rpo sticker, "GT4" = 3.73 gears.

even if you dont have larger than stock tires, towing 8Klbs you may want to consider a gear change anyway. 4.10's are good but the cost of the change (around $2000 for a 4x4 done by a professional) might not be worth it, 3.73 to 4.10's isnt much of a difference. you could go 4.30 or 4.56's, but with 4.56's and stock tires, it might be screaming down the highway.

good luck
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

tranny is a 4:10 confirm by tranny shop. Is this the ideal tranny for what I am towing? I have heard that a 30hp gain is about what is needed before a layman notices a difference in performance (true/false).
Old September 29th, 2009, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

well 4.10, is your gear ratio not your transmission, you would have a 4l80e transmission,is a good towing gear, but again if you have larger tires, your true ratio would actually be higher.

also just reread what you originally wrote, a 2500hd with a 6.0 would have 4.10's, i was thinking for some reason you had a 1500hd.

my truck has 4.10's, but the stock size was about a 31" tall tire, i now have a 33" tall tire, so my effective ratio is more like a 3.73.

well 30hp in a heavy truck is different then 30hp in a camaro. but yes i think you would be able to feel 20-30hp.

the main benefit from a tune is not neccessarily the extra hp/trq (which is an added benefit) but having the factory power unleashed so to speak.

i think you will be happy with a tune. you could also get long tube headers (not shorty's) as long as you dont have emissions testing. im hopefully going to be putting mine on this weekend.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Sure appreciate all your help. 1 more question? I also have a 2005 1500 that has a message saying I need to change oil. How do I remove the message once oil change is completed?
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

When you first put your keys in the ignition, quickly push your gas pedal to the floor three times.( in less than ten seconds) Then you'll see a message which says "Oil Life Reset" .

Quick Reply: Professional Tune comparisons