Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Programmers

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 2:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmers

I have a 01 chevy 5.3 4x4. Just wonerin what programmers are good for gas miliage and if ya'll had any advice. I was thinkin about gettin the hypertec max energy e-con. People have told me that some programmers dont really work. Is diablo sport any good???
Old May 29th, 2008, 5:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Programmers

Im going to tell you right now from experience no programmer is good for gas mileage, lol. Programmers are tuned to get more performance out of your engine, even at the lowest setting, what they call "for gas milelage improvemet". Unless you are really disciplined, your not gonna be able to keep your foot out of it with the extra power you just gained.

Just being honest, maybe its just me and my friends that have the foot to the floor problem, lol.

Honestly Ive had three diffrent programmers and one chip and the chip came from Diablo. The chip sucked, maybe it was because it was a chip and all chips suck, I dunno. The programmers were for three diff vehicles and they all did the same exact things. I really dont think it matters a whole lot unless you get a programmer thats specifically tuned for your truck, like if you got alot of mods, or want something specific.You'll notice a diffrence though. But they all say to get max performance you have use premium fuel. Something else to think about with high gas prices. www.troyerperformance.com uses superchips and they will tune a programmer specifically for your truck. So you tell them what you want. If you want better gas mileage on regular fuel, they'll tune the programmer for you. 3 diffrent programms on one programmer so if later on down the line you descide you want max performance you can change the program. If your trucks not listed, send them an email, they'll do it, they do mostly fords, but they do GM too. That was the best one I ever had.
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

TexasRedneck, welcome to the forum!!!!
Old May 30th, 2008, 1:09 PM
CF Active Member

The hypertechmax energy on 87 octane was good for about 1mpg more but sucked for any power improvements. i wouldnt recommend $380 for a 1 mpg improvement.

ive been looking into getting a nelson custom tune, but i dont have any money at the moment to spend on stuff like that.

from what i read the diablo sport predator is probably the best out there as for hand tuners for power but havent heard much on their increase in mpg.

just go easy on the throttle, keep it under 2k rpmand good luck