Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Project Sandman ! I NEED HELP ! INPUT

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
First things first ditch the six banger
Or go with Ported Aluminum Heads and high comp pistons, stick in a moderate cam and a decent crank... Then put two turbos on it running about 30psi boost.
The only drawback is you will most likely have to run premium.
Old April 28th, 2009, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's OK if you just want to be competitive; but, sorry, if you want to win regularly, you'll need an 8. Ditching the six gives you a great opportunity for a ground-up build. If you just want a truck that looks nice and runs great, that's a whole different pot of beans.

Here's a twist, get a column-shifter on that four speed. That'll look kinda lame without really affecting the overall performance.
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to be competive but i probably will not take this to the strip much but i would like to put an eight in it just not sure were to go with what blcok what to use ?

Z
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Something like a 454 would be the most readily available and most common, also making it more affordable inasmuch as you'd have a lot of performance options on the shelf at performance stores, just waiting for you to pick them up.

But calling it a sleeper may give everyone the wrong idea. If you just build it, drive it placidly, then at one point or another blow somebody's doors off, why not make it nice inside and out, and have a strong truck. Sleepers were used for hustling money. They blueprinted manifolds, installed turbochargers, nitrous,massive gears, oversize dual-exhausts,etc. Then they stuck it in a car body which looked like it was late for the crusher.
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this is one my ideas as well. i got my project "idiot stick" being written up in the old noodle. i want a 95 k1500 short cab short bed slam a 454 and pure black all around. everything will be black. im a fan of nightrider. and heres whatcha gonna want to do. as for sound to not give it away. cut outs. get a nice quiet system. and to make things fit right. get some old rusty tips that show you got a dinky car/truck. then when you go to race. slap them cutouts open and haul *** collect that cash. and for the motor sound. use sound dampen material on the hood and i dunno maybe in the engine bay and somehow make it look good. like put some sound material inside then smooth the hell out of it then truck bed coat it or something. keep the emblems on. get that **** motor they talking about stuffed in teh truck. and keep the interior somewhat clean but stock looking. as for the rear end. people look at truck rear ends to see if its stock or not. at least thats what me n my buddies do. so for the rear end. paint it black. spill some crap on it make it look like its seen better days. OH! and when you run the exhaust TUCK THAT PIPE UP TOWARDS THE BODY/FRAME!!! and just for good measure. paint the pipe black so people dont drive next to you and see shiny pipe. thats a big dead give away. and for the cut outs. tuck it where no one but you know where it is. and as for mounting the switch for the cutouts, i mounted my strobes switch in the rubber covering of the driver seatbelt. no one will find it unless they snoop. and my next switch is going on the seats. hide them well. now outside look. when its done just treat like a normal truck. its like the bosley hair restoration commercial. when your done you can wash it dry it cut it and swim with it. its normal to everyone else but you know its got some big *****. best of all. dont brag. drive easy.

good story about a sleeper. car pulls up at a light. it had holes in the fenders and cancer spots all over the body. paint was a green that looked like puke with the added mix of rust. it had some nasty half rusted exhaust tips. and the interior looked nice. stock but nice. all of the sudden you hear this loud *** noise. he opened the cut outs. then... green hit on the light and he was shifting through second and you hear two turbos spooling and the blow off valves popping. that guy had runs 10's or less with tires and a wee better tune. hope this helped.
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a story to maybe help you out. I don't have **** in my truck. I have a 5.0L V8 with a SS airflow system and a K&N filter. Some dude in a 2006 lifted Chevy pulls up next to me and puts his truck in nuetral and slams on the gas. Pretty funny because all I have is an old flowmaster system with the pipes cut. So I get onto my gas and completely ahh him. He looks over at my little lowered C1500 and the light turns green. I literally smoke the dude. I think that really all you need is a good running system. I think it's pointless to put all this work into your engine unless you're literally going to race the truck on a track or something. But that's just me.