Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Put 20's wheels and tires on my 07 and gettting brake pulse when applied

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2008, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put 20's wheels and tires on my 07 and gettting brake pulse when applied

I just bought 20 inch tires and wheels for my 2007 silverado (new body), put them on and they look great took them out for a test drive and the trucks tracks straight as an arrow with no wobble at all. When I applied the brake they pulsed (dum dum dum dum dum...) slowed me down but the pulsing obviously is not supposed to happen check tire sensor unit light came on. pulled them off and no rub spots , put the stock rims and tires back on and problem went away light went off. Any suggestions.
thanks.
b
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Put 20's wheels and tires on my 07 and gettting brake pulse when applied

Factory wheels have sensors, you need to remove the sensors and add them to the new wheels. You need to buy four new tpms valve stems gm part number 15263240.
The vibrating is caused by not removing the retainer clips from the rear wheel brakes. there should by two per rear wheel.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:37 AM
rms
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Put 20's wheels and tires on my 07 and gettting brake pulse when applied

sorry I missed the boat on this one miss read the question. But remember changing the wheels to the larger size will void the warranty if the dealership does not do the work.
Old March 6th, 2008, 6:17 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: rms

sorry I missed the boat on this one miss read the question. But remember changing the wheels to the larger size will void the warranty if the dealership does not do the work.
My dealership told me that if you go up to a size that they use from the factory ie. 20", than it will have no effect on your warranty. The problem comes in when you put on 24" and up, then it only effects the components its attatched to, not the whole warranty. For example, it would effect the suspension warranty.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Hey i also am having the exact problem on my 07 silverado i have 22" rims and oly get the pulsating when i brake i put factory tires back on and the problem goes away did any of these suggestions work?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Try re balancing the tires. I had an 05 Tahoe that I put 20's on and it did the same thing untill i rebalanced them. Afterwards no wobble.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
CF Active Member

Definatly remove the clips on the rear studs.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

I balanced the tires and took off the four little clips i cant believe it the pulsation is gone i still cant understand why the pulsation only happened when i applied the brakes and not at cruising or high speed
Old March 3rd, 2009, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys !
Old March 3rd, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Active Member

When you apply the brakes the pads expand and then you feel the improper seating of the wheel on the drums. The rear brakes pulse and that back pressure is transmitted via the hydraulics to the front brakes and the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Put 20's wheels and tires on my 07 and gettting brake pulse when applied