Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Question about Headers on a 04' 2500 HD

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2010, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Headers on a 04' 2500 HD

I have a ticking noise on my truck that comes from 2 sheared of bolts on both sides of the factory exaust manifold. I'm taking it in to have a Flowmaster put on. Dual pipes ran out. I already did a cold air intake on it. My question is this. The mechanic is going to have to yank out the existing exaust manifold to change out the gasket that is warped. I've looked at putting headers on it and they run from 500 to about 900. All the specs on those are about the same. The only real difference is the gauge steel they are made of. I can't find the specs for the origional exaust manifold. Is there a difference in the size of the headers pipes. Is there a big performance gain in putting on eaders; and while hes got the mainifolds off should I go ahead and replace them with good headers? Will it make a real difference.
Old December 21st, 2010, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default I Like Headers

I ran into the same problem with my truck. 2 bolt heads sheared off. I replaced the stock manifolds with Edelbrock shorty headers. I can notice a difference in the amount of torque i get off the line and also cruising on the highway. I think i paid $750 for the pair. They look awesome and its a bit of a weight reduction. The mechanic is going to have to take the manifolds off any way so your paying for the headers but the labor to put them on balances out. Now is the best time to install headers if your serious about it.
Old December 21st, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Active Member

I think it would be a waste at that price. don't think you will see much change.