Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

question about transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about transmission

ok, so im just wondering about some things ive been told here and there and thought id poke your brains and get some of your answers. shift kits. are they really a worse thing for a transmission if installed? i was told that with even a mild stage one B&M kit its going to wear the transmission more because it firms the shifts and thus gears are a little chewed. but i thought with a shift kit you get better life or less wear on clutches and gears because you have less time between the shifts. like on a stock 4l60E that i have, i thought stock as the transmission shifts, its using clutches and then it shifts over and theres that little time between where there wear on gears and clutches. and i thought with a shift kit you lessen the time so theoretically you dont wear the gears as much and you use less of the clutches thus being a good investment. I was looking at a B&M shift improver kit that came with the stage one and two. one was for straight up daily driver and fleet service and regular passanger vehicles. then stage two was for strip and has the hardest quickest possible shift. of course... my chevy isnt anywhere near for strip so id use stage one. the truck ahs 88840 miles on it. oil changes regularly at 3000 or a few lower and recent last 2 changes done engine flushes. im doing a trans flush and filter on it soon. my work is doin it for me free because we are training on it. so i said hell yea. so the question is are shift kits a good idea or no? what are the negatives of it? thank you for any feedback and if there was a previous post on this topic im sorry i didnt find it. if there is can i get a link? thank you guys
Old June 30th, 2008, 6:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: question about transmission

Shift kits shouldn't hurt it that bad. Firmer shifts are more ideal, but they don't neccesarily damage anything. If the shifts are too firm, like "****** your neck back" firm, then you are gonna damage some gear teeth.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: question about transmission

so then i wouldnt be stupid to install the stage one kit when i do my flush right?