Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

question bout chevy trucks

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2009, 6:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question bout chevy trucks

Does anyone know if you can get a 08 or newer HD with a stickshift? My dealer says no, but they aint the brightest.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Might get more answers if this was in the Silverado section, and had less of a vague title.
Old July 29th, 2009, 3:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

** Moved to silverado section.
Old July 29th, 2009, 3:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No you can not. You can get the normal 6 speed automatic heavy duty transmission or the Allison 1000 6 speed automatic. No stick is available. Sorry.

The option of putting in an older manual trans is always there, but that would take A LOT of custom work to do and wouldn't be worth it.

Why do you want a manual in a new chevy anyways? The Allison trans is great. Just go with that

Last edited by broknindarkagain; July 29th, 2009 at 3:46 PM.
Old August 1st, 2009, 7:28 AM
CF Veteran

I was just curious. I plan on making a lot of long hauls in my 07 and i've had absolute hell with automatics.
Old August 1st, 2009, 2:13 PM
CF Junior Member

With stock motor you won't have any problem with an allison, if got one behind an 8.1 and pull dump trailer with it daily, Put it in tow haul mode and you will be amazed how good it pulls and drives, much smoother and better than any manual, mine kick into overdrive once it hit 55/60 and stays there eventhough i gross out at 30+K and i haven't got it anywhere near warm yet, unlike previous truck with 4L80E, it got hot when pulling heavy loads, but never gave me a lick of problems, stock tranny got replaces at 167K
however my allsion is in an 04 so it is yet a 5 speed, i duno about the 6 speed, i have heard people say it won't kick into 6st until you hit 55 under any circumstances even coasting when empty.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:19 PM
CF Active Member

its sad to say but the allison is far better than any manual tranny made nowadays, the ones made in the 90's really sucked, too bad that they dont put a miniature verson of a 10 speed eaton fuller in a pickup
Old August 2nd, 2009, 6:18 AM
CF Veteran

I appreciate yalls input. Wish I had the allison i just have the heavy duty 6-speed. I pulled a 25" goooseneck loaded with furniture and a Misubishi Eclipse from Texas to SC. Pulled okay just felt a bit underpowered, I'm used to driving a Cummins on trips like that though. I love my chevy but aint seen nothing thatll outpull a cummins, A duramax will outrun it though.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
I appreciate yalls input. Wish I had the allison i just have the heavy duty 6-speed. I pulled a 25" goooseneck loaded with furniture and a Misubishi Eclipse from Texas to SC. Pulled okay just felt a bit underpowered, I'm used to driving a Cummins on trips like that though. I love my chevy but aint seen nothing thatll outpull a cummins, A duramax will outrun it though.
Find somebody that has and knows how to run EFI LIVE and they will be able to help you out, you will be amazed at what that stock 6.6 with a little different tune will do for you. While being as reliable as before, just don't let them forget to also retune the allison so you won't fry it.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 7:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
blackbear tune will help. but a gas motor will not pull like a deisel.

Quick Reply: question bout chevy trucks