Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

questions about 8.1 liter engine

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about 8.1 liter engine

I have a 2001 silverado with a 8.1 liter. I got some bad gas last week, I found out it had diesel in it. When I first start the truck it will spit and sputter but once it is running it runs great. Last night the low oil pressure light flickered for a moment and I noticed I only had about 20 pounds of oil pressure I checked the oil and it was over full. I was wondering if the unburned fuel at the start could possibly get to the oil. Im hoping to drain the oil and the fuel tank and see what happends
Old March 25th, 2010, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a gas engine that someone put diesel in ?
Old March 26th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you put diesel fuel in a gas-powered truck? The nozzle won't fit.
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe something at the gas station was messed up......i'd be changeing the oil and draining the gas/diesel ASAP
Old March 27th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gotstylez
maybe something at the gas station was messed up......i'd be changeing the oil and draining the gas/diesel ASAP

Well, perhaps that is possible. About three years ago, a tanker truck driver accidentally put unleaded gasoline into the underground diesel tank where we fuel our big rigs.

Two of them had to be towed when they would not run. When the mechanic checked the fuel tanks - Yep! - there was gasoline in there. The computer also threw error codes and shut the engine off to prevent further damage. Fortunately, the only damage was a large towing bill, mechanic's labor and several fuel filters (reimbursed by the fuel supplier).

Our fuel cards will only allow us to pump ultra-low-sulfur diesel at unmanned stations, so it was obvious that it was not a driver error. The other four or five trucks that got some gasoline that day only had maybe 1/4 tank of it.....so we just went to another location and topped them off with fresh diesel as soon as the boss found out what had happened.

Normally, I think it is a good idea for gas stations to have a SEPARATE pump for diesel - not just a different hose on the same pump. Too many people out there not thinking straight and you have a recipe for trouble.

Last edited by JK23112; March 27th, 2010 at 9:30 AM.