Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Radiator keeps developing leaks!

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2011, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator keeps developing leaks!

Radiator for 1998 Chevrolet Z71 pickup keeps developing leaks. Have replaced radiator several times. This last one lasted approximately one month. Gas mileage is low, but power seems okay.
Old August 4th, 2011, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if they keep gettin leaks..shouldn't you check for something that could be causin it? it's the actual radiator that's leakin and not the hoses runnin to it?
Old August 4th, 2011, 2:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by country_09
if they keep gettin leaks..shouldn't you check for something that could be causin it? it's the actual radiator that's leakin and not the hoses runnin to it?
I agree, unless your putting used unknown radiators this shouldn't be an issue. Unless you are running acid as a coolent only "normal" age should have an affect on a copper radiator. I have one in a 41 year old car that is still original.
As this poster i quoted said, look for exactly where it is leaking.
Old August 4th, 2011, 3:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Make sure the retainers that hold the aux oil cooler and the transmission cooler inside the end caps are tight, my 97 Tahoe developed a leak there, tightening the retainer nut resolved the leak....

Make sure you are properly purging the system of air, too much air can make it run hot and can damage the radiator along with the engine as well.....

make sure the rubber bumpers are in place when you install the radiator as they provide protection from abrasions as well....

once last thing, make sure you are using the correct radiator cap, if the system is over pressurizing it can cause leaks, if its the original cap replace it...
Old August 5th, 2011, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Have already checked these things...radiator cap has been replaced, all mounts are correct. Leaks are in various places, usually towards the center, not the same place every time. Has anyone ever heard of a catalytic converter causing this? Also, I have replaced with aluminum radiators and not copper.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done a complete flush of the cooling system? you may have an acidic condition that is eating up your rad.
Old August 5th, 2011, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or maybe the overflow reservoir is cracked? And are these new? Not from the junkyard?

Last edited by RacerX; August 5th, 2011 at 7:11 PM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

These radiators have all been new. Have not done a complete flush of the cooling system, but intend to do so with this replacement that I am doing today. Will also look at the overflow reservoir. Thanks for the help. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Ray98Chevy; August 6th, 2011 at 9:43 AM. Reason: need to add something
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray98Chevy
These radiators have all been new. Have not done a complete flush of the cooling system, but intend to do so with this replacement that I am doing today. Will also look at the overflow reservoir. Thanks for the help. Any other ideas?
I'd say use a good quality flush such as prestone, and follow the directions. If the flush water that comes out is nasty looking, don't hesitate to flush it again.