Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Random misfire code after running out of gas

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2022 | 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Random misfire code after running out of gas

Hi, I have a 2000 silvy 1500 and I’m having trouble diagnosing a random misfire. I was on e when I shut the truck off and it wouldn’t start so I put more gas. Had trouble starting but eventually started, first it threw me a cylinder 2 misfire, put heet in the tank and cleared it. Now it throws a random misfire code. Weird thing is that it doesn’t sound or run any different. I replaced the fuel pump thinking it might have been weak but same problem. Maybe a fuel filter or injector? Any tips? Didn’t go as far as coil packs or plugs just because the codes started after I ran it on e
Old December 26th, 2022 | 9:18 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm guessing the the SES light is or was flashing and maybe on steady with a P0300 set. Knowing what cylinders are showing mis fires and when ( all the time, at idle only, under load, etc.) could be helpful. If you know what cylinders. you can start by swapping coil, plug and wire to a cylinder that isn't having an issue. Can also do an injector balance test. Just a quick thought .