Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Recoating rims

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2008, 1:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recoating rims

my alloy rims areCoroding from the wheel wieghts, Whats the best way to take care of that? can i bead blast the rims and resurface them with clearcoat, or even clear powder coat them, anybody done this before.

Thanks
Old February 9th, 2008, 7:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Recoating rims

I dont know if I would bead blast them. Are they polished or silver? You could always take some extra fine steel wool and scrub the corrosion off. If we are on the same page, I think I had the same problem once before and thats what I did. Next time you have your wheels balanced, tell them to stick the weights on the inside of the rim. If they are silver, after you get the corrosion stains off and clean em up real good, I dont think it would hurt to spray them with some sealer or clearcoat. But if they are polished or chrome dont use clearcoat.
Old February 13th, 2008, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Recoating rims

Heres the best thing to do If you want your wheels to look new again. Pretty time consuming but cheap. If you can get your wheels off all the rubber off the wheels(If you have a place and somthing else to drive) Auto strip get then down to bare aluminum clean them real good .usesteel wool maybe sand paper repaint, clear or anything you want you can acctually do a set in 2-3 hours if your on them non stop.