Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Refrase: What is the best oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 4:55 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good explanation! I agree 100% They sure can make a plastic bottle look good these days
Old May 26th, 2009, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Anyway

Didn't mean to start anything, just wanted an opinion, Thanks anyway.
Old May 26th, 2009, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

You did nothing wrong, its a common topic that gets old to some people, thats all We post so you get other opinions like you inquired about, I hope it was helpful & informative.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 26th, 2009 at 6:46 PM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 4:27 AM
CF Active Member

ive seen MUCH better results with synthetic oil in my 4 bangers shoving 500+ HP out of them than conventional oil, as far as brands go, ive tried them all in the little motors and they have all worked well EXCEPT royal purple is garbage.ive had 2 engines magically wipe out bearings on that stuff, and the trans oil is like **** water and burns up gears. the rest, be it redline, amzoil, valvoline, mobil1, penzoil, ect. any full synthetic has held up well.
My top pick is redline oil, but its not so easy to find. for your truck, like they all said, any given full synthetic is fine. GM's factory fill on the vettes and cars that come with synthetic is mobil1. use whatever you like. IMO stick with an AC delco filter.

Last edited by racerx55; May 27th, 2009 at 4:31 AM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by racerx55
royal purple is garbage.ive had 2 engines magically wipe out bearings on that stuff, and the trans oil is like **** water and burns up gears.
Really? how long was the interval when you changed it? I am using it for the first time( engine only) and would like to hear from others that have used it. Never herd that before I plan to go no more than 5,000 mi on it( all oil gets dirty after a few thousand miles), it has 2,500 on it now and its still clean. I dont run the **** out of my motor though, I drive it how its designed to drive.

Iam not debating oil , I just would like to hear your feedback

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 27th, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
CF Active Member

I've had three motors blow in the time I've been driving. One was a 4.3 that always ran on 10w30 pennzoil conventional. The other was a 454. It always ran on 10w30 pennzoil conventional. The other was a 3.1L GM that always used pennzoil conventional 10w30. I kinda got the picture after the second engine blown. I now use synthetic. I recommend synthetic to anyone who changes their oil (be it taking it to a shop or DIY). I use valvoline synpower. I have used mobil 1 synthetic on my second 4.3 and put over 100k on it changing it at 5k IIRC with no problems, engine wise, and I ran the crap out of that little motor. So really, Synthetic is the only thing I say to get, brand is up to you. Never heard anything bad about RP, by the way. My uncle uses it and changes it at 12k and has used it for about 50k so far.
Old May 28th, 2009, 7:23 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
Really? how long was the interval when you changed it? I am using it for the first time( engine only) and would like to hear from others that have used it. Never herd that before I plan to go no more than 5,000 mi on it( all oil gets dirty after a few thousand miles), it has 2,500 on it now and its still clean. I dont run the **** out of my motor though, I drive it how its designed to drive.

Iam not debating oil , I just would like to hear your feedback
we were drag racing weekly, making 125hp per cylinder and revving the thing to 9000 rpm, i cant so much blame the oil itself, they just took out the bearings quicker than other oils did. there are alot of other factors that could cause it along with the oil type. i DO rebuild manual transmissions every day all day long and every one with royal purple trans oil in them has heat discoloring on the gear teeth. so that just leads me to belive the engine oil cant be much better. Im sure its better than conventional oil still. i wouldnt worry unless you are abusing the hell out of it.

Last edited by racerx55; May 28th, 2009 at 7:26 AM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

lol, well that explains most of it. I am only pushing 45 hp per cyl @ 4800 rpm and thats rare for me to do unless I am passing someone.

I wonder if RP has some kind of dye in it to make it purple, but it seems it goes clear after its used a little bit, my dipstick does not look purple like it did when I poured it in.