Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Reisntalling tailgate - won't power

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2022, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reisntalling tailgate - won't power

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice here. I've just take our new camper off the truck for the first time am reinstalling the tailgate that was taken out by the dealer who sold me the camper.

I have the tailgate physically reinstalled but electrically it is not working. I can see that the left latch is open but the right latch is locked so at least for the moment the tailgate can't be closed.

The main connector seems solidly plugged in, but the raise/lower motor isn't responding and the latches won't unlock (or lock) when I try with fob or using the controls in the truck.
The backup camera is now working but that seems to be a separate connector.

I checked some youtube videos on tailgate removal and replacement and they say to drop the spare tire but my connector seems accessible without doing this. I dropped the tire anyway (partly just to learn how the hoist works) and don't see any advantage to doing this. It's a 2021 and maybe that was necessary on earlier models?

I read somewhere that the tailgate doesn't power up until it is unlocked but i can't unlock it without power, can I?

thanks for your advice guys.
Old September 26th, 2022, 6:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Even if the latch and actuators aren’t functional, there should be power present at the tailgate if the connector is fully seated.

What’s likely causing it not to respond is one latch being open and the other being closed.

Remove the inner tailgate trim panel - there are approximately 10 screws around the perimeter.

Depending on the option you have, there may still be a mechanical linkage between the latches and handle. If so, rotate the link on the back of the handle clockwise, and manually open the latch that’s shut.

If it has fully electronic latches, there is a shaft protruding towards the center of the tailgate - pull inwards on the shaft to release the latch to the open position (may also require manually opening).