Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Replacement of stereo

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2014, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement of stereo

I recently replaced my stock stereo with a new Pioneer after market stereo in my 2005 Silverado. I found the wiring diagram for the truck and connected the wiring harness to the new stereo accordingly. The new stereo will not come on. I read that you may have to take the truck to the dealer to have the reprogram it to accept the new stereo. Is this correct? i cannot figure out why te new stereo will not turn on.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Eddie,

Do you have power going from your ignition to the stereo? What I've found is tapping into the red or brown ignition wire near the steering column and running a jumper into the red power wire on the stereo wiring harness. Also have you turned on the ignition or truck and used a voltage tester or meter to see that there's power at the power wire on the stock harness?
Old August 19th, 2014, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default I will try that

Originally Posted by s34n
Hey Eddie,

Do you have power going from your ignition to the stereo? What I've found is tapping into the red or brown ignition wire near the steering column and running a jumper into the red power wire on the stereo wiring harness. Also have you turned on the ignition or truck and used a voltage tester or meter to see that there's power at the power wire on the stock harness?
I did use a voltage meter and only found the constant on the harness. I will try to install the jumper. Is there any truth to the statement about having to take it a dealer to get it reprogrammed?
Old August 19th, 2014, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe so. In my 04 1500 and 05 2500 I replaced the stereo both times and didn't have to take it to the dealer for a reprogram either time. I know the yellow wire should be your constant to retain power and the red wire is your power to turn it on.
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

The part about taking it to a dealer is if you were placing a different GM radio into your vehicle. They would then program your VIN number into the radio. It is part of their anti-theft program.
I would check for proper voltage at the radio.

Good luck

Bill