Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Reviving a old friend

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2010, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving a old friend

I have a 1992 c2500 2wd 5.7 with TBI and 170+k miles on it, well the person who had it before me didnt do the best job taking care of it, some parts were replaced but for the most part, a lot of the parts are original off the line, and i've managed to get it running but now i am to the point of trying to get her into better condition and my question is i am looking into doing my trani (filter and fluid change) i do oil changes quite often but after about a couple days of driving the oil is pitch black again and i am trying to figure out a way to remove some of the sludge from the engine in hopes of prolonging my baby.
Old November 15th, 2010, 8:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a "BG" engine cleaner (will have to go to a shop for it); or perhaps you can get one of those "engine flush in a can" treatments. Basically, you pour a quart of it into your crankcase, run the truck for ten minutes, get it VERY HOT and then drain all of it and the old motor oil out of the truck.

Change the oil filter and pour in new, fresh motor oil. Idle it for a bit, drive the truck around town and re-check the oil level. Drive it for about 2,000 miles and repeat the process. That should get rid of the sludge, I guess.

If your engine doesn't have any leaks and the compression is still good, you might want to try using a synthetic oil blend. Yeah, it costs more; but is worth it in the long run. If you don't want to do that, add one quart of "Marvel Mystery Oil" at every oil change. That stuff is good, whatever it is!
Old November 15th, 2010, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a flush in a can there is a good chance the pick up screen will get clogged. A oil flush machine will blow air backwards though the engine though the screen and out the drain plug. If you have the BG oil flush done afterward you will hardly be able to see the oil on the stick afterwards.
Old November 15th, 2010, 9:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thing i am worried about is if i clean it that way then the debri that has been sealing up the seals will be gone which means i will go from a quart a month to a gallon a month
Old November 15th, 2010, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does not really work like that. I have seen the BG flush stop oil burning on more than 1 car. May go from a quart to none.