Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Ride quality with oversized wheels

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 7:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride quality with oversized wheels

I have had 22" rims with 305/40 r22 rubber for the past few years ... the ride quality is decent but I am wondering if there is any kind of shock that may help for the smoothest ride possible using these same wheels ?? Front suspension is stock and rear is lowered using 2" shackles. For some reason I've also considered running Nitto Terra Grapplers or Cooper zeon ltz in this same size (hoping they provide a smoother ride due to them being "off road" capable) .. what can be done ?? (2001 2wd ext cab)
Old October 28th, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Senior Member

I know the Monroe shocks will probably give you a little bit better ride, but the problem is you can't really buy offroad or performance shocks because that is just going to make your ride stiffer and less smooth. I would buy some nice (not performance) monroe shocks and I know the cooper zeon ltz tires are great combo on rims. My friend had them on 22's and gave some nice off road grip and made is truck ride not too shabby.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
I know the Monroe shocks will probably give you a little bit better ride, but the problem is you can't really buy offroad or performance shocks because that is just going to make your ride stiffer and less smooth. I would buy some nice (not performance) monroe shocks and I know the cooper zeon ltz tires are great combo on rims. My friend had them on 22's and gave some nice off road grip and made is truck ride not too shabby.
Thanks, I will definitaly keep that in mind next time I shop for tires ... It's between those and the terra grapplers but shocks are coming up soon.
Old November 4th, 2012, 9:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Cant go wrong with zeon or terra grapplers, both are awesome tires
Old November 7th, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is the amount of weight at each wheel with the bigger tires. You need a stiffer shock to handle the extra load. One possibility are the Rancho 9000XL shocks which have 9 stiffness settings and might make it possible to dial in the best settings front and rear for your truck.