Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

rubber-like inserts that go in coil to raise front?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber-like inserts that go in coil to raise front?

Well I have more facts about my truck's suspension and I found out i have A coil over shock front end setup on my '08 z71 1500. I found these rubber block like things that go in between the coil rings to keep the truck front end higher. I also found a coilbrace that seperates the coil as well, these two ideas are just to raise my front end about 2 inches. These items seem okay but just wanted to know if there were any draw backs. any help would be great....thanks to yall who've helped me already.
Old May 31st, 2009, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a set of the rubber ones on my buddies first F-150. It worked pretty good expect having to take the strut/shock apart to install it,the thread on one of them got messed up and no place had a new one (had to be ordered)because the truck was so new. On his second F-150 I put in a metal spacer that bolted to the top of the shock/strut mount and then bolted to the truck. The second kit was way better and much quicker to install 10-15 min per side.
Old May 31st, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

back in the old country, we used to have aftermarket donuts, with grove for the upper spring, about half inch thinnest thickness, installed between spring and upper spring mount. that did few things: raised vehicle; stiffened suspension; allowed higher payload.
those were lathed out of tank rubber, strongest rubber i know. tanks have several inches thick donuts on rollers rims. so do caterpillars and any heavy equipment with steel tracks.

i'd be careful with any narrow inserts. think about it - you are creating bending forces in the spring coils.