Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Shift Timing Change?

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2010, 9:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Timing Change?

Hi all,

So I have a Hypertech Power Programmer III for my silverado, and have been noticing a bit of a shifting problem. Well I wouldn't call it a problem so much as a annoyance. My truck seems to lag a bit when shifting from 1st to 2nd especially. Lag meaning it seems to stop mid-shift for a second and then jumps into second. I am not necessarily concerned about the tranny, unless this is a tell-tale sign that it is failing?

Anyways, my programmer has options for changing shift timings and RPM limits. I was wondering if I should just change it a bit to solve this problem?

The reason I ask is because if something serious is going on with it, I don't just want to cover it up.

(2003 Silverado, 4.8, 4.56 gears, 35" tires)(Yes the programmer has the 4.56 gears and different tire size accounted for)

Thanks for any help!
Old September 1st, 2010, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

need to get a powertrain scanner and look at the transmission codes, may have a bad solenoid? or take it to a shop that you trust, my Grand Prix acted like that and was a bad solenoid.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, I will have it looked at tomorrow.

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to think I was SOL
Old September 2nd, 2010, 8:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by CoffeyLover
Hi all,

So I have a Hypertech Power Programmer III for my silverado, and have been noticing a bit of a shifting problem. Well I wouldn't call it a problem so much as a annoyance. My truck seems to lag a bit when shifting from 1st to 2nd especially. Lag meaning it seems to stop mid-shift for a second and then jumps into second. I am not necessarily concerned about the tranny, unless this is a tell-tale sign that it is failing?

Anyways, my programmer has options for changing shift timings and RPM limits. I was wondering if I should just change it a bit to solve this problem?

The reason I ask is because if something serious is going on with it, I don't just want to cover it up.

(2003 Silverado, 4.8, 4.56 gears, 35" tires)(Yes the programmer has the 4.56 gears and different tire size accounted for)

Thanks for any help!
The shift options are only for wide open throttle changes. The shift firmness will help if you select that.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh ok, which way would I go to correct this?
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Select shift firmness and put it at 100%. Some vehicles will only allow you to select yes or no. You want to select yes.
Old September 8th, 2010, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Is 100% wise? I put it on 50% a few days ago, and made another thread about the programmer.

Will 100% hurt it at all?