Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Shopping for a new Silverado - Questions

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2007, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a new Silverado - Questions

Went to a couple of Chevy dealers and performed some cursory checks of the Silverado.
[blockquote]
Comfort: Check
Storage Space: Check
Radio Plays an MP3 CD: Check
Cupholders: Check (7 is enough for me)
Glovebox: Check (3 is enough for me)
Tailgate functions: Check
Hood Latch: Check
Oil Filter Access: Check
Oil Drain Plug: Was distracted and didn't look
Battery Wrap and Location: WTF Over![/blockquote]
How would you change the battery on these Silverado's?

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it looks like a PITA. Battery is located back by the firewall.
Do you really have to remove two braces to get to it?
Why was this engineered not to put the battery up front where there's an empty battery tray for one?

Old November 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Shopping for a new Silverado - Questions

I dont know about the battery issue, but I have a 2007 NBS 5.3 automatic tranny, and I had a 04 1500 and the only difference between the drain plugs is the 04's plug was on the driver's side, and the NBS is on the passenger side
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ColoRocky
Why was this engineered not to put the battery up front where there's an empty battery tray for one?
I am going to guess it adds more protection in case of an accident (Frontal).
Old November 26th, 2007, 1:33 PM
CF Junior Member

engine2is right.. im a firefighter and all the car accident we have been to the battery ussily starts to leak.. so its best if its in the back...
Old November 27th, 2007, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: An89Chevy
engine2is right.. I'm a firefighter and all the car accident we have been to the battery usually starts to leak.. so its best if its in the back...
That's a very good idea, if that was the engineers purpose. I figured it was $$ saved by reducing battery cable length, or even a weight savings. However, anything that aids an emergency response team is a win. Thanks for your service.

I need to get back to the dealer and study the battery area a little more, maybe its not so bad if the two braces are actually the battery hold downs, eliminating that 'rod and fine threaded nut' PITA.

Axe - Thanks for the location of the drain plug. I didn't notice it from the drivers side.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13853/2A02528D9F634D2796A78B2C615B67BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old November 27th, 2007, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

How often are you going to change the battery on the truck? Is that really a decision factor on buying a new vehicle? No offense, but wow. It's not that big of a deal where the battery is. just my $.02
Old November 28th, 2007, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: crat748
How often are you going to change the battery on the truck? Is that really a decision factor on buying a new vehicle? No offense, but wow. It's not that big of a deal where the battery is. just my $.02
Well you little pinhead, no offense. I would plan on keeping the truck 10 years and that would mean changing the battery at least twice, and my experience is that is usually not in a convenient location or a pleasant weather condition. Depending on the tools required, which appears to be quite a few of them, it brings up concern on maintenance. Not a deal-breaker, but it weighs-in on the decision factor, and I was looking for some insight from other forum members who actually have looked at the access of the battery. The salesman said about the same thing as you did, its not that big of a deal, that's when red-flags fly. It's less of a concern on location, and more of one on access and tools required. I'll do a little more research on that. I'm actually looking for an Ext Cab Short Box for over a month now, the 3 local dealers haven't had any in stock, which stiffles the dealing process. I like the Silverado a lot, ready to buy, just slim pickings right now.
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

I would just like with all my other vehicles(previously owned) id take stuff out and put it back in a couple of times so that i knew how it works that way when the actuall occasion popped up then id know what to do and not have to take extra time trying to figure it out the first time. Did that with the wifes SUV since her battery is located to the back and not front like older vehicles.