Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado 2500 Brakes - Need quick help!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 2500 Brakes - Need quick help!!!

Hey all,

I have my fathers 1996 Silverado 2500 (4wd) sitting in my garage with one of the front wheels & caliper removed...

Is there some trick to removing the rotor? He brought this thing by the house to do brakes & rotors... I can't get the damn rotor off to save my life.

From what I am seeing - I'm going to have to get lug studs pressed into the new rotor too - correct?

Any 'quick' help would be great.

Thanks
Old June 7th, 2007, 5:49 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Silverado 2500 Brakes - Need quick help!!!

[ol]Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation . Remove the front wheel hub extension, dual wheel vehicles only. [align=left] 3.1. Insert a drift or large screwdriver through the brake caliper into one of the brake rotor vanes in order to prevent the rotor from turning.[/align] [align=left] 3.2. Mark the relationship of the front wheel hub extension to the hub.[/align] [align=left] 3.3. Remove the front wheel hub extension bolts.[/align] [align=left] 3.4. Remove the front wheel hub extension from the vehicle. It may be necessary to tap around the perimeter of the hub extension with a rubber mallet to loosen it from the hub.[/align]Mark the relationship of the rotor to the hub. Install a C-clamp over the body of the brake caliper, with the C-clamp ends against the rear of the caliper body and the outboard disc brake pad. Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed into the caliper bores enough to remove the caliper from the pads. Remove the C-clamp from the caliper. Remove the brake caliper and brake caliper bracket as an assembly and support with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper. Remove the rotor retaining push nuts from the wheel studs, if applicable. It may be necessary to strike the end of the hub or the rotor with a deadblow hammer to separate the rotor from the hub. Remove the rotor. If the rotor is difficult to remove due to corrosion in the hub area use the following procedure to remove the rotor, 25 and 35 series only. [align=left] 12.1. Clean all the surface areas and the threaded holes of contamination.[/align] [align=left] 12.2. Generously apply penetrating oil or the equivalent to the hub/rotor area.[/align] [align=left] 12.3. Insert two M10x1.5 bolts or jack screws into the threaded holes of the rotor.[/align] [align=left] 12.4. Tighten both bolts evenly to force the rotor from the hub.[/align][/ol]