Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

silverado

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2011, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado

Hey guys,
So for the last few months my 98 silverado z71 has been doing something weird. Some times it will start just like normally and everything is fine. Other times when i turn the key, it doesn't turn over at all or start. The radio and dash lights and everything else come on just fine, but it wont turn over. It used to do it every once in a while and i would try a few more times and it as fine, yesterady it wouldnt start for a few hours, and today it still wont start .I have tried a different key, but it did not work. Some people have said that it may be the starter cylinder, what do you guys think? Any and all help it appreciated. Thanks.
-Cody Lee
Old July 27th, 2011, 4:11 PM
CF Junior Member

so the engine cranks but no start?...... have you cleaned the Battery treminals, and the grounds and the Positive Cable. Poss. Fuel Pump relay? Check all fuses and load test Battery.?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Starter, or selonoid?
Old August 4th, 2011, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

no, the engine does not crank at all. I just replaced the starter yesterday and the truck was running fine. started up every time. But then this morning i went out to start it and it does it again. No cranking no nothing, but all the dash lights and stereo come on like normal.
Old August 5th, 2011, 1:23 AM
CF Beginner

Take your battery cables connecters off the battery and clean the posts and inside the cables connecters really good. I've seen this happen before and all of it was caused by corroded cable connections. Just because they don't look dirty doesn't mean they arn't.
Old August 8th, 2011, 2:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could also be a bad cable end either at the battery or starter. That was the issue I had with my truck.