Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

silverado for hauling 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado for hauling 5th wheel

I currently have a 04 suburban and pull a 30ft travel trailer. I'm trading all that in and getting a 5th wheel (12000 lbs). I need 4wd, crew cab-planning on an 07. I'm comparing silverado and dodge ram . My head is spinning with allison transmission and duramax vs cummins etc. I'll be using the truck/pulling the trailer just about every weekend.
I'm an average person -not all that savvy about cars, nevermind trucks and towing capabilities and engines...any ideas for me to toss around?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: silverado for hauling 5th wheel

i would recomend a chevy 3500 duelly, my neighbor has one and he tows is 5th wheel all the time, he only has the 350ci in it, and it works well.

i wouldnt get the 4x4 unless you absolutly need it. the 4x4 just makes your rig heavier.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cummins is a great engine , but the tranny is not in the same class. I would go for the Chevy Duramax / Allison or Ford Super Duty.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the diesel for sure! Cummins with a manuel tranny. Thats what I got and love it.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 2:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go with the Chev it comes with a 6 speed Allison wiht tap shiftno need for useless manual **** anymore, also has engine brake factory, more power and better fuel milage...and lets not forget hte warranty on the 07 chev best out there now....and my god man just drive a chev and dodge back to back, the dodge still use Solid front axle, my goe it is rough, the chev is independent front, smmmmoooooottttthhhhhh. the dodge has no locking Diff, and no onstar, no auto headlights system, very much louder engine over the chev....

wnat me to go on.......
Old April 25th, 2007, 3:25 PM
art
CF Junior Member

I tow a 13,700 lb. 5th wheel with a 2500HD Silverado Duramax diesel and Allison automatic and the truck does a good job. The Allison transmission is bullet proof and a pleasure to drive.I would choose the Silverado over the Dodge, it's much more comfortable, has more creature comforts and is quieter. I've done long 7% grades in the mountains and the Allison trans.does a great job getting the rig up the mountain and even more important does great holding the speed down going down the mountain, usually don't have to use the brakes. Before you buy any truck, know for sure what the exact weight of the trailer is going to be otherwordsempty weight plus all your stuff and water holding tank weight etc. Check the factory listed pin weight and add at least 500 lb. to that number to compensate for what you will load in the trailer. If your pin weight comes out around 2500 lb. get single rear tires because they are so much easier to park, get better mileage, less tires to go flat, rear fender wells not sticking out to get banged upetc. Ifthe pin weight is much over 2500 lbs. you should go with the 3500 duel rear tires. The kitchen location in the 5th wheel is a big factor on your pin weight. A rear kitchen provides the least pin weight and a front kitchen provides the most, there are different problems either way and you might want to consider a center kitchen. You also have to consider what else you will be putting in the bed of the truck, extra fuel tank, heavy tool box, generator etc. and add that weight to your pin box weight. I bought the extended cab with a long wheel base so I would not have to worry about the 5th wheel hitting the cab in tight turns and the long wheel base gets you a 34 gal. fuel tank instead of the 26 gal. on the short wheel base and believe me when towing this makes a big difference. If you get a crew cab long wheel base it makes the truck way to long, it hangs out to far in most parking places. My truck is 21 feet long, which is almost to long for day to day driving and also the longer they are the more room it takes to turn them, the crew cab is even longer. Again, KNOW THE GROSS TRAILER WEIGHT AND THE PIN WEIGHT BEFORE BUYING THE TRUCK
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

get either a 2500 or a 3500 dually. the chevy far exceeds all other manufacturers. you cant beat that allison transmission. i drove a 07 2500 duramax with the allison last weekend and it is a awesome truck. the power that thing has is amazing. im gonna own one some day.