Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado heating and oil issue

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2021, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado heating and oil issue

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 V8, I was not driving it but from what the person told me it got hot they shut it off, I come to find out the reservoir overflow was cracked. And after it says change engine oil and the oil was changed not too long ago. I got some coolant in it, and got it cooled down. And when it starts it sounds fine, but I'm worried about going from 80% oil life to zero. Should I be worried?
Old April 11th, 2021, 2:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by chasesilverado
I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 V8, I was not driving it but from what the person told me it got hot they shut it off, I come to find out the reservoir overflow was cracked. And after it says change engine oil and the oil was changed not too long ago. I got some coolant in it, and got it cooled down. And when it starts it sounds fine, but I'm worried about going from 80% oil life to zero. Should I be worried?
I would not be. In my time, there were only add on coolant overflow systems. They did not become standard until the 1980's. Be fore that the hose went down the sde of the radiator to the ground.I'd change out the motor oil if it distresses you.