Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado Lemon? Lower rebuild, AFM, stabilitrak, etc.

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2014, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Lemon? Lower rebuild, AFM, stabilitrak, etc.

I purchased a preowned 09 Silverado LT w/ 35k miles back in 4/13. After owning this certified preowned vehicle for a few months I started to experience quite a few problems. First, it drank oil that led to a consumption test. Long story short the dealer, who I'm convinced was aware of the issue when they sold me the truck (I won't get into that), replaced pistons and rings. Fast forward to winter 13/14 I started to experience a slow methodical lifter tap that would last approximately 5 to 10 minutes until the vehicle was up to temperature. Took it to the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong...noise wasn't audible in the cabin and therefore "normal." Service suggested using AC Delco oil filter. I tried that and tap continued until the weather warmed up. Now this past June, prior to my warranty expiring in July, I started to notice a fast lifter tick at startup that would last 10 seconds. Took to the dealer and was told once again it was normal and that the lifters were just filling up. Whatever. Tried a different oil and filter combination and that seems to help a bit. A few weeks ago, engine light comes on and throws a code for the fuel solenoid sensor or something. Dealer tells me $600 to fix. I tell them to go pound sand and fix it myself. Now today, the latest. Come to a stop light and all of a sudden all the gauges go flat. Traction control, ABS and engine warning light all illuminate. Message center reads service stabilitrak. A few seconds later all the warning lights go out except for the service engine light. Light turns green and proceed to drive cautiously. Truck never gets out of first gear. I try to engage tranny in manual mode and shift at the ****. Nothing. Drop it neutral and coast until I find a spot to pull off. I shut the truck off. Wait a few minutes and start it up. Engine light still on, but truck shifts normally. I get where I'm going and let the truck sit for a few hours. Get in and start it up and now the check engine light is off. I searched this forum and a few others and read that it can be a litany of problems. I'm curious if anyone thinks this is all tied to the AFM system or my lower half rebuild. Quite honestly, I think I have a lemon, but being out of warranty and being it a used truck, I have no recourse. My wife drives a 2002 Suburban that we've been very lucky with, but this experience, and my experience with my local Chevy dealer is starting to make me think that I should have bought a Ford or Dodge.
Old September 7th, 2014, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Being that you are out of warranty anything is a help at this point. You are either going to trade the truck in, sell it outright, or continue to run it.
I would first see if there are any loose connections in the electrical system. Check for a bad ground at the battery or in the power control center. Loose/dirty grounds can raise al kinds of hell. Seeing as the battery is 5 years old, replace it or have it load tested at the least.
As for the lifter tick, even with the bottom end being rebuilt recently, I would pour in a can of Seafoam and run it for about 500 miles before doing an oil change. Try adding 20% Lucas to the mix. I have seen this combination do wonders for cars with many mote miles than you have.
Best of luck and keep us posted...
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Meierznutz
Being that you are out of warranty anything is a help at this point. You are either going to trade the truck in, sell it outright, or continue to run it.
I would first see if there are any loose connections in the electrical system. Check for a bad ground at the battery or in the power control center. Loose/dirty grounds can raise al kinds of hell. Seeing as the battery is 5 years old, replace it or have it load tested at the least.
As for the lifter tick, even with the bottom end being rebuilt recently, I would pour in a can of Seafoam and run it for about 500 miles before doing an oil change. Try adding 20% Lucas to the mix. I have seen this combination do wonders for cars with many mote miles than you have.
Best of luck and keep us posted...
I doubt I'd get what I owe on it for a trade. I could sell it privately, but I don't think I could do that in good conscious to someone to be honest.

I'll check out the battery. That's a good idea. With the winter around the corner I should have a new one anyway.