Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
View Poll Results: silverado shuts off and on at hwy speed
reolaced VSS on tanny
0%
replaced wheel speed senser
0%
what could cause this
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

silverado shuts off and on at hwy speed

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2023, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado shuts off and on at hwy speed

Replaced the varible speed senser because Truck cuts out like its shutting off and on .,after replacing the one on the
transmission still doing it also engine check light comes on have it read says its the VSS intermittant any one know whats
causing this
  • reolaced VSS on tanny
  • replaced wheel speed senser

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; August 15th, 2023 at 11:46 PM.
Old July 14th, 2023, 9:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 654 Likes on 594 Posts

'"vehicle" speed sensor
could be faulty wiring
Old August 15th, 2023, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have replaced the vss and the connector it still cuts out once and awhile when it does the gas gauge goes to emty and stays there until all of a sudden it will go back up any ideas whould be helpfull
Old August 15th, 2023, 7:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley59
I have replaced the vss and the connector it still cuts out once and awhile when it does the gas gauge goes to emty and stays there until all of a sudden it will go back up any ideas whould be helpfull
Is the fuel gauge the only one acting up or is it others/all of them?

Please provide full details on the truck - year, engine, auto/manual, dual tank, etc.
Old August 15th, 2023, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

2013 siverado ltz 4x4 single tank the speed om move back then back to correct speed gas gage goes off and stays off for sometime low fuel light comes on
Old August 16th, 2023, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Its a 2013 chevy silverado 1500 excab LTZ 4x4 auto tran 5.3 eng when driving it acts like it shuts off and on door locks click speedometer drops back then back to correct speed cruize bo longer engaged sometimes check gauge goes to empty and stays there low fuel light comes on show gas stations on stereo have replaced the VSS and the connector, It will go for a long time then all of a sudden jerks like it shut off and on code is P2161 Vehicle Speed Sensor 2 Circut Intermittent secondary DTS NO CODE
Old August 16th, 2023, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley59
Its a 2013 chevy silverado 1500 excab LTZ 4x4 auto tran 5.3 eng when driving it acts like it shuts off and on door locks click speedometer drops back then back to correct speed cruize bo longer engaged sometimes check gauge goes to empty and stays there low fuel light comes on show gas stations on stereo have replaced the VSS and the connector, It will go for a long time then all of a sudden jerks like it shut off and on code is P2161 Vehicle Speed Sensor 2 Circut Intermittent secondary DTS NO CODE
I’m not familiar with this specific code so I’ll need time to research. However, the issues you describe are more indicative of a general power and/or ground supply problem; or a communication problem on the high speed network.

The instrument cluster and gauges (IPC for short) are 100% data fed and logic controlled. All the gauges, indicators and other information are prompted by other control modules via the data network and the IPC simply responds to the requests.

The fuel level is actually monitored by the ECM and the ECM tells the IPC what level the gauge should read.

The VSS is monitored by the TCM (or PCM if no TCM) and the TCM tells the cluster what speed the gauge should read.

For the cluster to be cutting in and out, combined with the stalling, suggests the loss of communication. Generally speaking this should trigger a related DTC in the ECM, but depending on the nature of the problem that may not be the case.

However it could also be a faulty battery that’s draining the electrical system even when the engine is running.

At this point I have 2 recommendations:

1) Take your truck to a shop for a full system scan. This will check every single module for codes that may provide better direction for determining the source of the problem.

2) Try a battery cable reset and see what happens. Disconnect both negative and positive battery cables and connect them with a pair of vice grips or a jumper wire for at least an hour, then reconnect and test drive.
Old August 16th, 2023, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Look at the Grounds

In a 2020 High Country with approx. 30K miles (two northeastern winters); I noticed a variety of what appeared to be unrelated electrical problems. Upon further investigation, I found a faulty ground strap located behind the passenger front tire and 6 inches up from the bottom of the firewall. Yeah, what a stupid place to attach a chassis ground strap. The strap was braided and about 12" long with crimped islets on either end. It was replaced with a flexible number 4 welding cable and two soldered copper ring islets. I sprayed the lower islet with Fluid Film and that was the end of the electrical problems.

Best of luck.
Old October 6th, 2023, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Question silverado acts like its shuting off and on

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I’m not familiar with this specific code so I’ll need time to research. However, the issues you describe are more indicative of a general power and/or ground supply problem; or a communication problem on the high speed network.

The instrument cluster and gauges (IPC for short) are 100% data fed and logic controlled. All the gauges, indicators and other information are prompted by other control modules via the data network and the IPC simply responds to the requests.

The fuel level is actually monitored by the ECM and the ECM tells the IPC what level the gauge should read.

The VSS is monitored by the TCM (or PCM if no TCM) and the TCM tells the cluster what speed the gauge should read.

For the cluster to be cutting in and out, combined with the stalling, suggests the loss of communication. Generally speaking this should trigger a related DTC in the ECM, but depending on the nature of the problem that may not be the case.

However it could also be a faulty battery that’s draining the electrical system even when the engine is running.

At this point I have 2 recommendations:

1) Take your truck to a shop for a full system scan. This will check every single module for codes that may provide better direction for determining the source of the problem.

2) Try a battery cable reset and see what happens. Disconnect both negative and positive battery cables and connect them with a pair of vice grips or a jumper wire for at least an hour, then reconnect and test drive.
I have replaced both VSS did nthe battery reset took it to chevy dealer 3 time 2days twice 4days this week they so far cant figure it out either,
Old October 6th, 2023, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

when I am driving my siverado acts like its shutting off and on dealer cheched it cant find the problem any help with this would be very helpfull

Quick Reply: silverado shuts off and on at hwy speed