Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

Silverado Transmission sensor issue.

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2020, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my truck, and I am wondering if you figured out what was causing the problem.

Last edited by Cameron Jenkins; January 24th, 2020 at 7:42 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old December 17th, 2020, 2:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mikeSRusmc
I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4 wheel drive 5.3 L I cannot shift out of first gear no speedometer no cruise control have replaced ECM have replaced wiring harness from the ECM to the transfer case have replaced all three sensors on the transfer case have checked and replaced all my fuses replace the body control module replaced the speedometer instrument cluster and still I have no shift what could be the problem and how do I fix it
I know it sounds crazy, but try replacing your ignition switch, n using a lil piece of toothpick as a shim if the lil wire plug that goes from the switch to the lock cylinder is loose. I was in disbelief but apparently it's a common problem in chevys. Good luck!
Old July 1st, 2021, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hope this helps

Originally Posted by silveradoman01
I really need some help!

I've got a problem with my trucks electronics regarding the tranny. The truck is a 2001 1500 4x4. My problem is that when I start off from a stop my tranny stays in first with the speedo at 0 and wont shift. Once it sits in 1st at 3000+ RPMs for a while it will slam into second and the speedo will shoot up to its reading then first gear again, second, first, second... All this time its changing from 1st to 2nd erradically as well as the speedo issue. Also accompanied with this problem is my ABS light along with abs activation under normal braking. The problem is 100% without a doubt electronic and has to do with my shifting, speedo, and abs. I've replaced the both VSS on my transfer case, had my tranny looked at by two shops, and had my ABS module refurbed all at a grand total of 700$. The last place was aamco which I hoped could read a code it might be throwing, those money hungry punks jumped straight to telling me its a mechanical issue and that I need to have the tranny dropped for 1000$. yeah of course it is.... I have a hunch that theres some more sensors im missing and could really use some help. Anyone who has the slightest input please reply, this is the third forum i've tried and im begining to loose my mind...lol. Thank you.

check the plug above your Trans body connected to the transfer case vss with the purple/white wire and green/black wire. Also plug/pigtail on sensor. Cheap replacement plugs don't always stay in place properly so keep that in mind.
check out this video. Link below.

Watch "Chevy GMC speed sensor wiring. Erratic speedometer, transmission shifting. ABS light." on YouTube

​​​​