Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Silverstar Ultras for a '93 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2009, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstar Ultras for a '93 Chevy Silverado

Hey all:

Does anyone know what size bulbs a '93 Chevy Silverado takes? I got new Halo headlights and want to upgrade to bright *** bulbs so I'm going with Silverstar Ultras. Anyone with size details or better light opinions please reply. Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2009, 3:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The information is supplied at the shelf where the bulbs are sold at any large parts store. (It's make/model/year, just like tune-up parts.)Most laws state replacements should be the same as the originals. Very few law-enforcement agencies will enforce a change to halogens, but they'll probably take a dim view(ha-ha,I made a funny) of HID beams on your 93.
Old April 29th, 2009, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Appreciate the information. Law enforcement doesn't really care here. I live in the town of Laci Peterson. The famous city of Modesto. So the crime here is like #1 in the world. If they pull me over they just have nothing better to do. LoL. I bought some Silverstar Ultra Lights which technically are not illegal. Sold on the shelf for my truck. Just hoping I don't draw too much attention because I also got new headlights (Halo Projector Lights) But my truck is lowered so it doesn't shine in too many peoples eyes.
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

If they are sealed beam, then I don't know. If they are composites, then its 9005 and 9006.
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i want some new light bulbs too i want something like a white light and not yellowish what bulbs do i need for that?
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Shouldn't they be composite? To be honest I'm kind of new to the truck world seeing that I'm so young. But I can't tell the difference. Is it the type of light housing that I bought? Or is it just the way the truck is? I mean the new lights are composite I believe because you're able to replace just the bulb and not the whole headlight. Am I right?
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Suzuki-Guy. I think all you need is a better bulb. Also make sure that when you install your Halo lights to make sure that the bulb sits a little bit behind housing and not all the way in. Atleast thats what a diagram showed me. It says to have it back set a little bit and they will shine better. I would definitely suggest PIAA lights or Silverstar. Seems like those two shine really nicely. My bro's got PIAA's in his Tacoma and it's bright as heck.
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:53 PM
Super Moderator

I love my silverstar ultras, one of the best things I have done to my vehicles. Way better than factory bulbs. Yours will be composite, non-composite head lights have two separate units for high and low beams, in a composite the high and low beam bulbs are contained in one unit.
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Does that mean it was a waist buying both 9006 and 9005 bulbs. Or is this what I was supposed to do? I'm confused as hell. Ha.
Old April 29th, 2009, 6:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing about Silverstars is the fact that they use a coating (filter) to only let the white and blue characteristics of the light through. This is the minority of the colorband, so it really restricts the output. To achieve the brightness they have, they overload the filament.
Unfortunately that causes premature bulb failure. I had Silverstars in my low beam projectors. Neither of the bulbs made it past one year of life. The second set I bought blew within 6 months. I bought OEM-style Xenons and they have been in there a 13 months so far. I do a fair bit of night driving.
So if you ask me, I'll tell you I like the stockers better than any coated bulb. If you want true brightness, go with a set of 3900-4300K HID. They do not have blue tint, so you are much less likely to be pulled over for having them.
My lighting setup in the Blazer is OEM-style xenon H1s for the low beams, and for the highs, I have 5000k HIDs. The HIDs are astounding.