Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Smog issue with 1990 C2500

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Smog issue with 1990 C2500

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and am in need of semi-urgent help with my new (to me) truck I got on Monday.

I tried to take it to a Shell station to get it smogged on Tuesday, it did great on the emissions test, better than the averages, and better than my other vehicle (which isn't passing smog, more details to follow). But then the tech looks under the hood and tells me my truck fails the visual inspection because it's missing the air pump.. So that was $30 for nothing.

Some backstory, I had already taken my Integra to this shop to get her smogged before the registration was due on the 10th. Well, the first time I brought my Integra there, it's not even on the rollers and the tech is checking my engine and tells me my car isn't going to pass because I have a B20 valve cover from a CRV on my B18 motor, so it's been "tampered" with, and if I abort the test, it doesn't look good and I'd have to pay the $30 anyways if I tried to test it or not.

First test with my Integra, it passes smog, but not the visual. I put my stock valve cover back on and bring it back the next day, and it fails 10x harder in emissions. So now that's $15 for that, but they offered me a free retest for when I get it fixed somehow.

So now I'm up to $75 and I have two damn vehicles not passing smog, which leaves me with only my two bikes, one of which is refusing to run, even after running diagnostics on the electrical systems, so I'm getting pretty stressed out with everything right now.

Going back to the truck, my dad has been looking into this with me, and he says he thinks this tech doesn't know what he's talking about, that only certain models use the air pump, and not necessarily mine, even though I have an empty bracket with nothing in it's place, that it doesn't necessarily mean it needs an air pump.

So does anyone know if my model needs an air pump or not?
Is this tech off his rockers?
Do I just have crappy cars in need of major TLC?

I know California has the strictest smog laws, but this is getting stupid. As I mentioned before, I'm already $75 deep with this shop, and I've gotten no where. I just want my cars to be good with the DMV, but this is hindering my progress.

Any help and feedback would be awesome, thanks!