Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Something is snagging clothing

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2011, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is snagging clothing

I know this looks like a weird question, but something in the seat or seatbelt is snagging my shirts down the left side, and I can't figure out what it could be. I put on a brand new UnderArmour shirt today and drove to my son's baseball practice, pitched BP, and drove straight back home. When I walked inside, my wife asked what happened to the shirt. It was like I'd been leaning against plywood or something. I went out to the truck, checked the seat edge on the door side of the driver's seat for any possible cause, but nothing. I sat in the seat and buckled up to see if it was the lap belt, but the snags were above it. I don't have a clue, but this is the 5th or 6th shirt that is like this. I've just never linked it to the truck. Has anyone else experienced this? I drive a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab with cloth seats.

Last edited by slee; March 12th, 2011 at 7:04 PM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 1:12 PM
CF Active Member

You're going to have to be more specific than that. Exactly where on the shirt or skirt?

I used to work on automotive upholstrey and interiors for years. When I had issues similar to yours to deal with I used to take the customer outside and ask them to move their car, but what I was really doing was watching how they entered the car and got out. You make interesting discoveries this way.

One classical example was a heavy set guy that complained that the seams were busting on a not so old seat. He was putting his hand in the middle of the seat to lift himself into the car. That was focusing a lot of weight over a small area. The solution was either change your entry style or build up the springs on the seat to handle the load.

So the trick in your case may be to have an observer try to catch you unawares getting in your car and out of it to see what you rub up on and touch.
Old March 13th, 2011, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

The snags are starting at the bottom of my ribs down to my waist on the left side. When I got into my truck yesterday to look around, I sat in the seat and buckled up just to see if the lap belt was anywhere close. Not within 4" of the lowest snag. When I step out of the truck onto my step bar, that side rubs against the outer edge and seam of the seat, but I can't feel anything that would grab the shirt material. I'm clueless as to what could be doing it. I just posted to see if anyone else has seen or heard of this, and knew of a fix. This will probably remain a mystery.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:29 PM
CF Active Member

A lot of people tend to push in butt first into the seat. When they do this they also rub or bounce off the seat back as they go down to the seat. There can be handles for letting the seat forward you may snag or sometimes the bead (1/4 inch round material that runs around the cover between the top and the sides) can have a break in it that is a possible snag culprit. I have seen many seats that get worn out this way where the backrest can even have a broken metal frame under the upholstry. You don't see this type of seat much anymore as they are now mostly foam in that area.

It is even possible you are bumping the latch for the door in the door frame. This could be where you are picking up the stain from. The latch is a good place to see grease. Perhaps you have my problem where my wife is short and leaves the seat forward and there isn't that much room to get in.