Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

spacer vs. cold air???

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spacer vs. cold air???

There is an air box by the fender with a hose going to the a round filter housing on top of the TBI. On the inside cover my LMC catalog they give a time of what happen in each year, and they say that the vortec opition started being avalible in '96.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok in that case try TBIchips.com. He does a good job with chips and they are only about $30. Had him do my 91' GMC, made a very noticable difference. I thought it was 95' and up that was Vortec (It would say right on the motor if it was). Sorry, my bad.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh BTW, TB Spacer on TBI motors make a difference, I know first hand. Get a smooth bore spacer for top end increase in power, or a helix, torque curve (the threaded one whatever its called) for low to mid power increase. Try AutoAnything.com, you can find a discount coupon code on CouponCreep.com for them as well and save a few bucks.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

How do you program the new chip or does it do it on its own? and what kind of chip should I get i.e. stage 1, stage 2 ect.?
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM
CF Junior Member

You need a stage 1, which will require higher octane. Stage 2 is for modified engines, for example if you put a performance cam, lower temp thermostat and headers or something like that. A lower temp thermostat will do wonders for that engine also (despite the chip). Get a 160 if you live in a warm climate, 180 for a cold climate (otherwise your truck will never heat up enough to blow warm air into the cab on cold days).

The chip is a PROM, which is "read only". I cannot be reprogrammed without special software/hardware built to rewrite these chips. Thats what the guy sends you just a new chip with some modified parameters on it. You keep your stock chip and can switch them back and forth as needed. (Like if gas gets too high or you want stock setting for winter).
Old December 14th, 2007, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

So the big question is will I need the chip with this setup? and how willI know?
Old December 14th, 2007, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well I just got done talking with the guy from TBIchips.com and told me that I will not need a new chip unless I start changing cams or other internal engine stuff, but the chip he could send me would need a colder T-stat, but I could still use 87oct. what should the T-stat temp be normally? I have never seen the temp gauge get above 150.
Old December 14th, 2007, 2:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Thats a sweet deal, mine needed 91+, but maybe because it was an older engine. Your stat should be 190-195 or so stock. If it is at 150 then you either have a aftermarket stat, a rad in need of a flush, or a faulty gauge. Have you ever replaced the stat?
Old December 14th, 2007, 3:16 PM
Super Moderator

The T-stat is stock and I just did a coolant change, I should have changed the T-stat at the same time it just didn't cross my mind.
Old December 14th, 2007, 9:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcbst12

Thats a sweet deal, mine needed 91+, but maybe because it was an older engine. Your stat should be 190-195 or so stock. If it is at 150 then you either have a aftermarket stat, a rad in need of a flush, or a faulty gauge. Have you ever replaced the stat?
Could indicate a slight retard in the timing. Advancethe timing and go back to 89 and see if it made a difference.

Quick Reply: spacer vs. cold air???