Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Speakers don't work when it rains, amp or Ant. wire?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2007, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speakers don't work when it rains, amp or Ant. wire?

ORIGINAL: 48fan

Thanks for the responses.

A few days ago I was driving (it had rained and stopped) and when I drove over some railroad tracks my radio came back on. That got me thinking, and so after racking my brain a bit I went outside and slammed my passenger side door a couple times and the radio came back on. I believe the railroad tracks and the slamming of the door got the water off of the problem area inside my passenger side door. When I have time I will pull off the door and find the problem.

Thanks again.
Jason, I would pull your deck out and use a test light on all of the terminals in the wiring harness to check for shorts. Most likely you have a shorted out voice coil or something inside the speaker and your deck is shutting down as a protection. You could also pull out the speakers and test each one of them with an Ohm meter but that would take more work when you could test all of the speakers with a test light from the wiring harness.
Old January 19th, 2007, 2:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks for the responses.

A few days ago I was driving (it had rained and stopped) and when I drove over some railroad tracks my radio came back on. That got me thinking, and so after racking my brain a bit I went outside and slammed my passenger side door a couple times and the radio came back on. I believe the railroad tracks and the slamming of the door got the water off of the problem area inside my passenger side door. When I have time I will pull off the door and find the problem.

Thanks again.
Jason, I would pull your deck out and use a test light on all of the terminals in the wiring harness to check for shorts. Most likely you have a shorted out voice coil or something inside the speaker and your deck is shutting down as a protection. You could also pull out the speakers and test each one of them with an Ohm meter but that would take more work when you could test all of the speakers with a test light from the wiring harness.
Test light ??? If you're checking for continuity use the multimeter on Ohms lowest setting and can be done from the radio harness end. Put your meter leads on the right + and right - that will check the wiring and the speaker. If you get a reading of 1 or 2ohms , 0 is a dead short ,there is a problem.
Old January 19th, 2007, 2:19 PM
CF Pro Member

I fixed it...it was a shorted out speaker on my passeger side.Water must have dripped onto it and shorted it out; it had rust on it (I swear I chacked that speaker for rust though when I taped up the terminals). Oh well, problem solved.
like I said.

Glad you got it fixed.
Old January 19th, 2007, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Test light ??? If you're checking for continuity use the multimeter on Ohms lowest setting and can be done from the radio harness end. Put your meter leads on the right + and right - that will check the wiring and the speaker. If you get a reading of 1 or 2ohms , 0 is a dead short ,there is a problem.
Well a 'continuity tester' if you want to be picky. Continuity testers are only $40 to $50 vs. buying a crap Multimeter for cheap or an expensive one that's actually worth the money.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Well a 'continuity tester' if you want to be picky. Continuity testers are only $40 to $50 vs. buying a crap Multimeter for cheap or an expensive one that's actually worth the money.
When test light is mentioned it's usually referred to being used in live circuits , they're a good way of destroying the electronic components in a vehicle.

When you say continuity testerit doesn't tell the reistance value.

For $40 to $50 youget a decent multimeter that is more versatile and safer for checking the electrics in vehicles.