Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

StabillTrak System

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2008, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StabillTrak System

Howdy,
Does anyone really understand the StabillTrak system ?? Called GM and got someone in India that didn't even know what StabillTrakwas. Just what does it do and if you read the manual they also make reference to TractionControl within thesame system. What actually happens when you turn it off with the button below the heater controls ?? If you punch the button and the symbol lights upon the dash does it mean the system is off or on ?? Whenyou call service they just read the manual back toyou. Heck I can do that and find it sort of confusing. Just bought a 2008 Silverado Lt1.
Thanks, RHB
Old November 6th, 2008, 3:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: StabillTrak System

Stabili trak is a computer governed anti-skid system. It works together with the ABS braking system, among others. When it senses that your wheels are not turning the same speed or that you are about to go sideways it does one or many of suitable responses. It can shut down a proportion of power from the engine, to stop you from making things worse. It can brake wheels individually to straigthen the vehicle up. These are the main parameters it works with.

I am not sure, but I would think that the Stabili trak indicator ligths up for a few seconds when you turn it on. Then it would probably also light up or flash when it is engaged in a "rescue traction and direction" situation.
Old November 7th, 2008, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: StabillTrak System

it says where your odometer is thats off when the button is pushed but what i dont understand is if its off why is there a cluncking inthe back of my truck when i go to slide around a corner and that light that is lit up (telling me its off) on my speedo is blinking i thuoght it was off, the truck still looses power as well when it happens. so is it off ? or are the engineers playing a joke on us.
Old February 1st, 2010, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

If you push the button the traction control goes off and the stabil link is still on you have to hold the button down for about 5 sec to shut the traction control and stabil link off..