Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Starter want's a constant beating?? Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 1:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter want's a constant beating?? Why?

I suppose this will seem, and possibly even be, a very dumb question/post! So, I'll ask it anyhow.

On my 92 1500, 5.7 auto: The starter wire to the 'key' switch broke off. Not being able to see or reach it properly with my face pressed against the hot manifold & rust flakes in my eyes, I unbolted it, fixed the wire, and re- attached the starter. All this at night, in the dark, during a rain storm, so yes, I may have missed something! She got me home, but ever since that night, requires a good beatin' with a 2x4! The starter gear seems to jam up somewhere? I gotta admit, I kinda enjoyed it for a while, but then it all came to an abrupt end. I broke the solenoid. I felt bad at first, but got over it, and quickly replaced it with a new one, (probably should have got an entire starter, but didn't). Long story slightly shorter, one fine snowy day, it starts sputtering, like it's out of gas, then knocks out, that's it,, over. I tried many times to crank it over, but it kept begging for more, so I went out with a hammer, showed it a thing or two, and it started again. That was 2 months ago, now it just makes a clunk, or turns the flywheel a bit and that's it! I did not visualy see the flywheel, nor did I do any tests on the battery, but it'll start any other vehicle. I assume you think I was too hard on her, and maybe so, but during those 5-10 minutes of beatings and cranking, and more beatings, I noticed there was no spark from the wires, and no fuel from the tbi. Could these issues be caused by me, physicaly assaulting the starter, or is there some possibility that the starter caused, or had intention to cause this damage. I don't see what they have in common, how or why they could fail me, all at the same time? I was thinking the distributor ICM maybe. Would that cause both the spark and fuel failure? I changed the coil already, so it's not that! Maybe the starter burnt out the battery and ICM? But again, why is the starter even sticking when it gets me so upset? Did I forget a shim? Are there even shims on a 92 starter, and how can I align it properly if so? This is really making me angry now! I'm sure it has something to do with that starter!

Seriously, before one of us gets hurt, is there anyone with a suggestion, other than 'check the wires to the battery', 'put the shifter in park', or 'did you turn the key fully'? I know that I could use some help, I really can, and I admit it. If someone has ideas on what could be wrong with the truck, that would also be appreciated. I need the truck so badly, yet it is frustrating me just to look at it now.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

I should add; I purchased a HEI tester, voltage tester, 12v probe tester, cap & rotor and have located the instructions to test the ICM. I probably need to deal with this starter issue if I am going to do ANY testing. Is there a way to visualy see the gear alignment, or does a starter ever even use a shim? Someone asked me if I installed the shim correctly, and that's why I ask? I double checked all wiring, but I did beat the starter pretty regularly because it kept sticking. I don't think I killed it, there's no dent's or anything, but should probably remove it for a bench testing or just replace. Money is not flowing here, so if I can save it for a possible ICM, rather than a starter, advice from someone who's gone through this would be fantastic.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Well, all the information I gathered was from this site, so for that, to all, Thank you. So far, I've removed the starter, housing (shroud thingy), flywheel gear looks good, inside of the starter, shreded! The brushes and wires are destroyed. I may have had a little to do with that, however, it had it coming, and I never would have treated it that way if it worked properly to begin with. So that's my starter problem solved. I also noticed that my temperature sensor pins are non-existant. I pulled it out and there was nothing connected. Can that be bypassed? I'll look it up. I'm thinking that may cut power to the ICM or something, but I've only been doing this type of work for 1 day, so I may very well be wrong. I'll post back either way.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....let that be a lesson to you then. Next time use a sledge hammer instead of a 2x4, it'll give you quicker results!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Well....let that be a lesson to you then. Next time use a sledge hammer instead of a 2x4, it'll give you quicker results!
If you could see the condition it's in now! Anyhow, I didn't do anything that voids the warranty as far as my Owners manual mentions, and if you were under my truck beating the starter with a 2x4, you'd have done the same as me. I'm off to get a new (rebuilt) right now. Still haven't figured out anything about the temp sensor, or if I even need one. I'll get one anyhow. Anyone know how to bypass the belt around the a/c compressor. I'll look it up, good idea though. It doesn't work anyhow!
Old May 8th, 2012, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Changed the old broken starter, but still no fuel at TBI and no spark (common symptom of ICM failure). I changed the distributor cap, plugs and temperature sensor (they were old anyhow) and checked the ICM plugs. The 2 wire plug inside the distributor for the pickup coil was slightly rusted. Cleaned it off, plugged it back in and put everything back together. Fired right up first crank. Thanks to all that have posted issues, repairs and what the end fix was. I would never have been able to repair it without the info on this site.