Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Steering, Power Programmer, Headers

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2009, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering, Power Programmer, Headers

I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.7L pickup. Out of nowhere my steering will just loosen up and jerk to the side. I heard once about a possible speed assisted steering box and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these or know if there is one on the truck, or if there is another problem causing it.

Next I was wondering what people thought would be a good power programmer for this year and model.

Finally I was looking into headers and was wondering what the difference between putting 1-1/2" and 1-5/8" headers. My exhaust set up is stock exhaust manifolds into a stock y pipe and then i just have a single tube exhaust w/ a flowmaster muffler. I think it is 3" but im not sure and would that even matter?? I was also planning on putting on a K&N air filter. Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks
Old January 26th, 2009, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Did you find out what the deal was with the steering? Mine does the same thing. I've replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.... didn't fix the problem.
Old July 15th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jcureton
Did you find out what the deal was with the steering? Mine does the same thing. I've replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.... didn't fix the problem.
I know I'm resurecting a pretty old thread but... Here's the fix for the problem.

My '97 had the same issue, in a turn, sometimes it would feel exactly like you hit a patch of ice... what was causing it was a faulty variable assist sensor. Your vehicle has more or less steering assist depending on speed. You suddenly go from low boost to very high and subsequently, it feels like it jerks, or you hit ice.

It's not terribly expensive part, you should be able to do it yourself, I went to a dealer.

The biggest problem with this is, the sensor now gives me too much boost at speed. Not like before when it would suddenly go to full on, but more than I'd like at highway speed. I remember my '89 Silverado was much firmer steering and was one of the things I really liked about that truck.

I would like to know, and found this thread looking for... is it possible to "tune" out the boost at highway speed? I'm sure it's controlled by a computer somewhere on the truck..

Thanks in advance!

Shortz
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 98Silverado1500
I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.7L pickup. Out of nowhere my steering will just loosen up and jerk to the side. I heard once about a possible speed assisted steering box and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these or know if there is one on the truck, or if there is another problem causing it.

Next I was wondering what people thought would be a good power programmer for this year and model.

Finally I was looking into headers and was wondering what the difference between putting 1-1/2" and 1-5/8" headers. My exhaust set up is stock exhaust manifolds into a stock y pipe and then i just have a single tube exhaust w/ a flowmaster muffler. I think it is 3" but im not sure and would that even matter?? I was also planning on putting on a K&N air filter. Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks
I fixed this a while back, and honestly had the same issue as you mention. It was just way too sensitive. A friend who is seriously in to Chevy's told me that I didn't need it. I ended up taking the steering speed sensor off, and it was perfect!

I guarantee you will say the same. Its a little stiffer when you are in parking lots or going slow, but nothing that you would really notice or consider to be wrong. But when you are a highway speeds, its steady as a stone.

Let me know if you try it, and how you like it.
Old July 21st, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jcureton
I ended up taking the steering speed sensor off, and it was perfect!
Other than the spoungy brakes and the overly light steering at highway speeds (much lighter than my previous truck '89) I love this truck!! I'd like to just remove the sensor but doesn't the system default to full boost then? When it was failing a few years back and I had the "yanks"... I thought I read that when the sensor fails, it does go to full on... which certainly seems the wrong way to default..

Would it be so simple to just unplug the darn thing??? That would make me have a very happy face!

Shortz
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Shortfork
Other than the spoungy brakes and the overly light steering at highway speeds (much lighter than my previous truck '89) I love this truck!! I'd like to just remove the sensor but doesn't the system default to full boost then? When it was failing a few years back and I had the "yanks"... I thought I read that when the sensor fails, it does go to full on... which certainly seems the wrong way to default..

Would it be so simple to just unplug the darn thing??? That would make me have a very happy face!

Shortz
I left mine plugged in, but took the sensor off the steering column. I had stuffed it and wire tied it in the wire cluster under the dash. I remember I was only going to remove it temporarilly while I waited for the new sensor to be shipped. I also had heard that if it were unplugged it would default to full boost. But I found that I liked it so much better that ended up leaving it tied in the dash wires and I took the newly ordered part back to Autozone.

I don't have that truck anymore, and I can't remember if I ever tried disconnecting it. I should be easy to try though. I seem to remember that it was a little tricky getting it off the column, maybe a a hidden screw or something. It didn't take long though. I remeber that I had spent days replacing shocks, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings and it ends up being a stupid sensor that took just a few minutes to remove.

Best of luck with it. Let me know....